Squash has got to be one of my favourite cool weather comforts. I love that delicate balance between sweet and savoury.
I roast a lot of squash without much ado but sometimes it’s fun to give it a little something extra…especially when it takes almost no time at all to dress up! Sprinkling roasted acorn squash with chile-spiked fairy dust adds another dimension that makes the everyday feel special.
You guys know I’m a massive hemp seed fan – I try to eat these little omega 3 gems daily but I don’t want to just dump them unadorned on every meal. I adapted this skillet crumble from a Bon Appetit recipe – this is a fun way to get your healthy fats! It would be super delicious on my Glorious Green Soup too.
If you give it a try, be sure to share it with me on Instagram…I LOVE seeing what you guys are making at home!
Cumin Roasted Acorn Squash with Hemp Chile Crumble
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2 tbsp naturally refined avocado oil
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dried chii flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Trim ends of acorn squash and slice into 1 inch (2.5cm) slices. In a large bowl, toss with avocado oil, salt, cumin and maple syrup until squash slices are well coated.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until they begin to turn golden, flipping squash slices after 15 minutes more even colour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the water, maple syrup, salt and chile flakes and set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, toast seeds until they become fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add the maple chile mixture and cook until the syrup reduces and seeds start to clump together, about 3 minutes.
- Pour seed mixture out onto parchment paper and let cool completely. The seed mixture will clump more as it dries out, so be sure to make the crumble as soon as the squash is in the oven so you have time to get the best texture.
- Serve squash on a serving tray, sprinkled with the chile hemp crumble.