Vegan Pimiento Cheese (Inspired by recipe from Husk Restaurant)
A plant-based version of your favourite Southern cheese dip! Rich and cheesy, what else can you ask for?
Servings: 2 Cups
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, I like Just Mayo
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers or pickled pimiento peppers
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup good quality bread and butter pickles, chopped (I used Bubbies Pickles)
- 2 tablespoons Pickle brine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar-based hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (omit if you don't like a smoky flavour)
- salt, lemon juice and sugar to taste
In a food processor or high speed blender, process cashews until finely chopped. Add in nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mayo, hot sauce and spices and process until well blended. Mixture will be paste like.
Stir in pickles, peppers and brine and taste. Adjust seasoning and acidity with salt, lemon juice and sugar (sugar in 1/4 tsp portions). Because of the different flavours of the variety of mayo, pickles and peppers available, this step is really important. The pimiento cheese should be savoury with just a
hint of sweetness and well-balanced acidity.
Place in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate until ready to serve. The pimento cheese will keep for a few days in the refrigerator....if it lasts that long!