How to build a better gut with plants, with Dr. Alan Desmond
You guys! I can not believe we’re at our FINAL EPISODE of the season! And for this very special moment, I am thrilled to bring you one of the most notable plant-based gastroenterologists in the world: bestselling author, and public health expert, Dr. Alan Desmond.
I get, like, super nerd excited about speaking to docs who are into nutrition. As a dietitian who’s worked in digestive health for a decade, I’ve encountered plenty of gastros who downplay the role that nutrition can have in supporting digestive disease, so it got me wondering: Why do some doctors develop an interest in nutrition as a therapeutic tool while others don’t?
Find out on our FINAL SHOW of the season! I also want to thank all of you who listened, followed, and subscribed. Thanks for sharing an episode or two, downloading the pod every week, and telling your friends about The Allsorts Podcast! It all adds up and has encouraged us to keep going—so stay tuned: Season 2 will be on its way at the end of the year!
About Doctor Alan Desmond:
Doctor Alan Desmond is a Consultant Gastroenterologist and bestselling author dedicated to educating the public on the health benefits of a whole-food plant-based diet. Certified in both Gastroenterology and General Internal Medicine, Doctor Alan completed his medical training in Ireland and Oxford. He has a specialist interest in the role of diet in the prevention and treatment of Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis. A fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London, he has published several influential research papers in the field of Inflammatory Bowel Disease and is a dedicated advocate for the gut health benefits—and overall health benefits—of a whole-food plant-based approach to nutrition. He lives in South Devon with his wife and three children.
On this episode we chat about:
- How Dr. Alan’s quest to offer evidence-based answers led him to understand that not all food is equal
- The two very clear messages Dr. Alan noticed in the research on disease prevention and improvement: unprocess your food and eat more plants!
- Why processed foods are not designed for human digestive health
- The science of HOW exactly plants support digestive health
- Why doctors shouldn’t be hostile toward patients with questions about food
- Why the gut microbiome is the control centre for human biology
- How a ‘Western style diet’ weaponizes our gut microbiome and degrades our digestive
- The risk factors for developing colorectal cancer: a fibre-deficient diet, red and processed meats, and living under obesity
- Meals to build a gut microbiome that is conducive to health not disease
- The evidence for how meat impacts our health
- Let’s normalize passing gas
- The usefulness of paying attention to what foods cause you discomfort or not, and how to approach eating healthy foods that can cause a lot of gas
- The truth about fermented foods and probiotics: are they REALLY the wonder ingredients they’re being sold as?
- Poop! What’s a normal amount of times we should poop, and what should it look like!?
Learned something new? Have questions?
Thanks for supporting our little pod by subscribing, rating, and/or reviewing us on your fave podcast app!
Sign up for our text line and let me know your thoughts on the pod! Just text hello to +16043309464
Connect with Doctor Alan: