Anyone else over this so-called spring??? I know that I can’t really complain on the West Coast when you folks out east actually got snow. But I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold weather. Clearly.
Which also makes me a fair weather smoothie drinker. Until the temperature starts climbing, oatmeal is a big breakfast staple but I also love chickpea scrambles in a major way. Post-cookbook, I am still in a very minimalist cooking mood so I thought that I would share my go-to scramble formula so you can see just how easy and delicious it is to have a hot breakfast that is not a cafe sandwich.
Easy Chickpea Morning Scramble
- 1/2 - 398ml can no salt added chickpeas or 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and chickpeas, mashing chickpeas with a fork as they warm. Sprinkle with spices and salt, then add baby spinach and stir through.
- Add a splash of water and cover the skillet with a lid so the spinach can wilt for a minute. Remove lid and serve!
- Enjoy with sliced avocado, hot sauce and 1-2 pieces of toast, depending on how hungry you are!