Healthy Vegan Caesar Dressing Recipe
What could be yummier than a creamy, tangy, vegan Caesar salad dressing? Made with hemp hearts and no added oils, this healthy vegan Caesar dressing recipe takes just 5 minutes to make, with 6 simple ingredients (not including salt and pepper!).
I love salads (could eat one everyday!) but I’ve got to be honest: I never liked traditional Caesar salads. The anchovies that are in a classic Caesar dressing were a no go, obviously, because I went vegetarian in my teens. And I’ve always wanted more from my salads than just romaine and croutons. If it’s a salad, give me VEG! Unless it’s a Panzanella salad (for which I will gladly overlook my bread-in-salad disdain because I am not a monster) I’ll take my bread in sandwich form, thanks!
But a vegan Caesar salad, with plenty of tang, hearty greens and maybe a bit of crunch? Well, I can’t get enough. I could eat a kale Caesar every day of my life and be a verrry happy human. So I thought it was high time I make you my favourite creamy, tangy dairy free Caesar salad dressing.
How to make a dairy free Caesar dressing that’s actually creamy
The classic Caesar salad gets its creaminess thanks to an emulsion of egg yolk, as well as parmesan cheese. The parmesan (and the anchovies) give it plenty of umami too.
There are a lot of different plant-based ways to create a creamy base for a dairy free Caesar dressing. I’ve seen recipes made from cashews, hummus, tahini and even mayo. I love using hemp hearts because, well, I’ll take any excuse to use these nutrient-dense super seeds in my daily life.
Hemp hearts blend up surprisingly well, even if you don’t have a high speed blender, with zero soaking. So, all you need to do is blend them up with the rest of the ingredients and in a few minutes, you’ve got dinner! Or a side dish, however you want to rock it.
What you’ll need for this vegan Caesar dressing recipe
This recipe comes together in just 5 minutes with six basic ingredients you probably already have in your pantry:
- Lemons: fresh lemon juice adds a fresh tangy acidity to the dressing and brightens the flavours.
- Hemp hearts: hemp creates plenty of creaminess with a slight green + grassy flavour note
- Dijon mustard: rich and creamy, Dijon adds tang and helps emulsify the dressing
- Nutritional yeast: adds plenty of umami ‘cheesiness’
- Garlic powder: to keep the vampires away and create a rich flavour
- Maple syrup (or sugar!): just a tiny bit to balance out the flavours and bring it all together
All you’re going to do is place the ingredients in a bullet or blending jar (no soaking!), add a bit of water, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Easy peasy.
Ways to use this vegan Caesar salad dressing
- I love using this dressing for a kale caesar. Just massage the dressing into washed and torn kale leaves. Massaging the dressing into the kale leaves ensures it’s well-coated and helps soften the kale to make it more pleasant to chew. Add some roasted chickpeas for extra protein + crunch!
- Try it on a potato salad or pasta salad!
- Drizzle it over grilled or roasted vegetables
- Add it to a wrap or sandwich
- Use as a dip for veggies or crispy baked tofu
More Vegan Dressing Recipes
- My potato salad has an amazing Avocado Ranch Dressing
- The creamy Ginger Cashew Dressing on my snap pea salad is amazing
- You’ll want to drink this Ginger Sesame Dressing from the spoon
- Lemon tahini vinaigrette more your thing?
Healthy Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 2 lemons
- ⅓ cup hemp hearts
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, or pure cane sugar
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Immersion blender or small blender
- Place the lemon juice, hemp, nutritional yeast, water, Dijon, salt, garlic powder, maple syrup and pepper in a blending cup or bullet. Blend 1-2 minutes until smooth. Taste, and adjust salt and pepper as you like.