When we were in our twenties, we probably made Greek Salad every week at least. In fact, back then, I refused to chop any veggies finer than a chunk, so we ate a lot of chopped salad and crunched our way through them.
For me, Greek Salad was always about that interplay between the fresh vegetables and the saltiness of the feta and olives. So making it without cheese kind of lost its allure pretty fast.
Yes, Vegan Greek Salad is SO Worth It When You’ve Got Tofu Feta
I’ve tried some good marinated tofu feta recipes. And then Erin Ireland posted the most amazing tofu feta recipe from Virtuous Pie and my head nearly exploded. It’s sooooo good and it makes a lot so I always have feta cheese in the fridge to put on just about anything. I’ve changed up the recipe I bit because I find that I like it a bit saltier and tangier than the original. Now, I’m ready to get serious about Greek Salad again.
In this version, I played with texture by adding roasted red peppers (from a jar…I’m no hero!), and omitting the red onions…because does anyone love their stomach on fire? Using the tofu feta pretty much right out of the food processor so it has a whipped texture. Oh, and I added fried capers. Because…why wouldn’t you? They are so darn good.
This is a simple supper that doesn’t just feel thrown together. It’s healthy, with a side of creamy indulgence. My kind of meal.
This would make such a lovely easy dish for entertaining, maybe with my asparagus fries as share plate?
Vegan Greek Salad with Whipped Tofu Feta
Whipped Tofu Feta
- 12 ounce firm tofu not extra firm
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil not virgin, melted
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
Vegan Greek Salad
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium English cucumber chopped, about 3 cups
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers sliced into thin ribbons
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons capers patted dry with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Prepare the tofu feta. In a blender, crumble in the tofu, then add the coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and onion powder. Blend, scraping down the blender as necessary, until it is silky smooth.
- Remove whipped feta and place in a resealable container and pop in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, red peppers and olives and toss in the dressing. Set aside.
- In a small frying pan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium. Add one caper, when it starts to sizzle, the oil is ready. Add remaining capers and fry until they begin to 'bloom' and crisp up, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan to a paper towel to drain.
- To assemble, place a generous bed of whipped feta on the plate. Top with Greek Salad and a few fried capers, and serve.