Vegan salad rolls with peaches and kale
These vegan salad rolls are perfect when it’s too hot to cook. Vegan, gluten free, low FODMAP option!
Every time I make salad rolls, I ask myself why I don’t make salad rolls more often. It’s a fun way to eat salad.
It’s convenient too. If you want to make these for lunch, do the prep on a Sunday night and then every morning, take five minutes to soak your rice paper and wrap everything up to go.
Or, entertain with a make-your-own roll bar! Pour the fro-se (or beer!) and set out the prepared fillings in the centre of the table and let guests to wrap their own dinner up.
You could really throw whatever you wanted into these but as a guide, I was going for greens – of course – and something summery and unexpected. Hence the peach. But the best part of these is that you can let guests customize their own. My hubby didn’t really love the mint. But I LOVE it. Cilantro is a given. And be sure to get some protein in there too…the omnivores in my house decided that shrimp would be a good idea but I’ll stick to tofu, thanks!
Typically, Vietnamese salad rolls are served with a sweet and sour fish sauce so I loosely approximated the taste, without the fish sauce. If you eat fish sauce, you can omit the soy sauce and start with a teaspoon of fish sauce and adjust to your tastes.
These rolls are often spotted on the internet with a creamy nut-based sauce. I just created an almond butter-based one for the paperback edition of Un-Junk Your Diet...and it would be killer with these, just saying 😉
Vegan Salad Rolls with Peaches and Kale
- 4 large kale leaves, washed and sliced into fine ribbons (chiffonade cut)
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, cut into 1cm-wide sticks
- 1 peach, finely sliced or sliced (SKIP for low FODMAP!)
- 1/2 English cucumber , sliced into paper-thin disks or spiralled
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- sesame oil
For the sort-of traditional dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- as much freshly chopped red thai chili as you dare…or a pinch of red chili flakes
Get all of your ingredients laid out:
- For the kale, in a medium bowl, massage kale with lime juice, oil and salt until it wilts a bit and softens.
- On a plate, sprinkle sesame oil over tofu, sprinkle a bit of salt, and rub tofu to distribute oil.
- Place cucumber, peach, mint and cilantro on a serving platter or in their own bowls.
Prepare the dipping sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together in a jam jar or small bowl and add chili
flakes. To serve, distribute evenly amongst four soy sauce bowls.
To prepare the wraps:
- Boil a kettle. Grab a large pie plate or cake pan (rice wraps should fit in bottom). Place one rice wrap in bottom of plate and cover with boiling water. Let sit for a minute until it softens. Remove from water, shake gently and place on cutting board. Add whichever ingredients you along centre and then fold over one side, the top and bottom and then roll to close. Need help with technique? See this video