Let’s talk turmeric, shall we?
My love of turmeric shows no signs of slowing down. I love the earthy, spicy note it adds to my dishes and how grounded I feel when I eat it. Turmeric has the ability to help fight chronic inflammation and it may even have a prebiotic effect for a healthier gut flora. It’s an important part of my diet and I feel so much better when I am consuming it regularly.
It isn’t, however, the most natural addition to cooking for most people. And so, I love figuring out ways to make consuming turmeric as natural as brushing your teeth. Enter the smoothie.
This is such a healthy way to wake up in the morning and such a sunny colour. Cashews add healthy fats to boost absorption and blood sugar-balancing protein. This is a breakfast that can really set the tone for the day. Even if you only have three minutes in the morning, you can make this smoothie and leave the house feeling good about doing a little something for yourself in the midst of a crazy morning.
Try it…and let me know how you like it!
Turmeric, Ginger and Mango Smoothie
- half of a fresh mango (or generous half cup frozen mango)
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cup plant-based milk alternative (extra calcium) or coconut water (lighter texture)
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- a crack of black pepper
- tiny pinch sea salt
- Blend all ingredients together! If you want, you can also soak the cashews in water in the fridge overnight but it isn't necessary.