Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Vegan Parm
Make the perfect roasted Brussels sprouts every single time with this simple + delicious recipe. Tender inside, but never mushy…crisp and golden brown outside. The perfect nourishing and flavourful vegetable side dish for any meal, with or without a sprinkle of vegan parm!
Without a doubt, Brussels sprouts are my favourite vegetable. It’s not just because I’m a dietitian and they’re “good for you”: I have loved them since I was a kid, because I have never been subjected to the overcooked, sulphurous green globs that I know so many of you know.
So I do get it if the idea of Brussels instills a little bit of fear in your culinary soul…but I promise: these roasted Brussels sprouts are SO easy to make, with crispy outer layers, a tender interior and LOTS of flavour. They will make a believer out of you!
I can easily eat a pound of Brussels sprouts all to myself…and my absolute favourite way to eat them is roasted (although the shaved Brussels caesar salad in Good For Your Gut Cookbook is a close second!)
Roasting caramelizes the sprouts and brings out a softness and depth of flavour you don’t expect with no bitterness…but if you are particularly sensitive to bitterness, I’ve got a fix for that too!
Whether it’s a Tuesday night, or you’re looking for delicious vegetable side dishes for a holiday meal, these vegan roasted Brussels sprouts are just what you need to fall in love with Brussels again.
What you’ll need to make these vegan roasted Brussels sprouts
You don’t need a lot of fussy ingredients to make perfect roasted Brussels sprouts. Roasting brings out so much flavour! All you need is 5 core ingredients, plus salt, so let’s get started:
- Brussels sprouts: look for firm sprouts, with tightly wrapped leaves, all around the same size so they roast evenly
- Avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil: Want those sprouts crisp? You’re gonna need more oil than you think.
- Garlic powder: this brings adds an extra hit of umami that makes these sprouts SO flavourful
- Chile flakes: optional, but a tiny bit of heat adds depth
- Maple Syrup: if you find sprouts bitter, roasting helps…and so does just a bit of sweetness
- Optional: vegan parmesan: these sprouts are perfect on their own, but if you want to kick it up a notch, add parm…you can buy it, but it’s so easy to make your own vegan parmesan!
Tips, Tricks + Substitutions
- Want crispy Brussels? You need these 3 things: a higher heat, more oil, and roast cut side down.
- These roasted Brussels keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days. Use them cold in a salad or grain bowl. Want to reheat? You can crisp them up in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or add a bit of oil to a nonstick pan over medium and heat through.
- Still find Brussels bitter? Add a pinch more salt or another drizzle of maple syrup. Both salt and sugar combat bitterness.
More delicious vegetable side dishes
- Luscious Sweet Potato Cauliflower Mash
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Not Your Mama’s Casserole: Swiss Chard and White Bean Gratin (Vegan)
- Vegan Oven-Baked Kale Gratin
- Roasted Sweet Potato Spinach Salad + Tahini Dressing
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Vegan Parm
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- pinch chile flakes
Optional, for serving
- 1 batch vegan parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss halved Brussels sprouts with oil, garlic powder and salt. Spread on a rimmed cookie sheet, cut face down and roast for 20 minutes. Stir, and if not perfectly golden brown and crispy, place back into oven for 5-10 minutes more, depending on size or sprouts.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and toss. Place on serving platter and sprinkle with vegan parmesan, if using.
2 Comments on “Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Vegan Parm”
I can’t get enough! These are sooo good!
YAY! Team Brussels unite 🙂