If you’ve been looking for a decadent, yet healthy vegan side dish for your holiday gatherings, look no further. I love silky, creamy textures…which is why I held on to my love of cheese for so long.
This mash starts by roasting vegetables to enhance their natural sweetness, and then it’s all blitzed with a generous lashing of butter until it is like a dreamy orange cloud. It’s easy to make and an absolute crowd pleaser.
And, if all you want to do is make this on a Friday night and top it with roasted chickpeas as a movie night snack, I won’t stop you…
Luscious Sweet Potato Cauliflower Mash
- 1 lb cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 lb large orange sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, skin on
- 1/2 tsp salt + some freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4-1/3 cup unsweetened cashew, oat or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425 and prepare a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower, sweet potato and garlic with oil, salt and pepper and pour onto cookie sheet.
- Tuck garlic between other veggies so it's less likely to burn.
- Roast for 20 minutes, check that garlic isn't burning and roast for 10 minutes more. Garlic should be soft, the cauliflower starting to brown and everything fork tender. Carefully set garlic aside.
- Add roasted vegetables to the food processor, squeeze garlic out of its skin and add to food processor along with butter, sage and maple syrup. Puree until well blended, then, start drizzling in cashew milk to achieve desired consistency.
- I added just over 1/4 cup to create a smooth texture. Taste, and adjust salt or maple syrup if necessary.
- Tip: You can absolutely mash this recipe by hand, which will result in a more rustic mash but it is absolutely delicious.