Simple, chewy vegan peanut butter cookies ready in 20 minutes. Nourishing ingredients, like hemp hearts and ground flax make this cookie the perfect healthy vegan treat.
I love cookies.
But not just any cookie.
I’m sorry to say that I am picky about my cookies. They can’t be too sweet. They can’t be too crispy. I want them to be healthy… but not taste ‘healthy’.
Well, folks, this recipe is all-of-the-things, and it comes together in under 10 ingredients!
They taste like a plush little pillow of peanut butter, one of my fave things, and my kids love them as much as they love less healthy snacks (you cannot imagine what a win this is in this house!). They are the perfect cookie to make for holiday gifting or snacking – or to snack on post workout (maybe they have become my fave post-jogging snack!).
Now for all the healthy…
- They pack more plant-based protein than the average treat at over 5g per cookie, thanks to the hemp hearts and natural peanut butter
- Rye flour brings 2g of whole grain fibre per cookie
- They contain nourishing ingredients that easily fit within an anti-inflammatory lifestyle so you feel energized after enjoying them
- The healthy fats will leave you feeling satiated and satisfied
- They have plenty of omega 3 & 6 fatty acids
- And they are even low in sugar, so you can eat them at breakfast!
It all started with a Food52 recipe that was shared on the Flourist website. I messed with it. And then I messed with it again. Take care, this is low gluten, not a gluten free recipe, although I would expect that they would work effortlessly by replacing rye flour with almond meal (I haven’t tested to be sure yet though). These cookies are so simple and quick to make; if you try them, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Vegan Peanut Butter Hemp Cookies
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 100% Whole Grain Rye Flour (I used GRAIN)
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- optional: a ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- First, make a flax egg: stir ground flax with 3 tablespoons hot water in a small dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream peanut butter and maple syrup together with a hand mixer for a minute until light and fluffy. Add flax egg and vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Add the rye flour, hemp hearts, salt, baking soda and cinnamon and continue mixing until just incorporated, do not over mix. If adding chocolate chips, stir them in by hand now.
- Roll about a tablespoon of dough into a ball and then press into 2 inch (5cm) diameter cookie. Space cookies about 1 inch (2.5cm) apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until just firm around the edges and the top starts to crack.
- Remove from oven and leave them on a baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a coolingÂ rack where they will continue to firm up.Store at room temperature for up to three days (if they last that long!) or freeze once fully cool.