This healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie is a decadently delicious way to start the day! Made with hemp hearts and peanut butter, this smoothie contains plenty of filling plant-based protein and healthy fats to keep you feeling full and satisfied all morning long.
A smoothie doesn’t seem like the most obvious recipe choice for the holiday season but to me, it seemed like the perfect solution for tastebuds now primed to treats, but a body craving real sustenance.
Cocoa, when not combined with five pounds of sugar, is actually a very beneficial food. Filled with anti-inflammatory polyphenols, it even helps increase the microcirculation in your skin to give you a bit of that holiday glow.
However, form counts. Dutch-processed cocoa will have fewer polyphenols than natural cocoa or raw cacao powder. Choose whichever is affordable to you…or currently in your cupboards.
This smoothie also contains cinnamon, which helps balance blood sugars and hemp seeds for anti-inflammatory fats and a bit of protein. All in all, this smoothie will have about 15 grams of protein if you use soy milk. You can easily bump that up with another tablespoon of hemp seeds or your favourite protein powder.
Enjoy more yummy vegan smoothies
- Turmeric Ginger Smoothie with Greens
- Low FODMAP Pina Colada Smoothie
- Turmeric Ginger and Mango Smoothie
- Try this yummy strawberry probiotic smoothie to help you soothe your gut
- Blushing Beet Smoothie Bowl
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie (Vegan)
- 1 medium banana fresh or frozen
- 1 cup your favourite unsweetened plant-based milk I like almond or oat milk here
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- handful ice cubes optional, if not using frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup sweeten to taste
- 1 shot espresso or ¼ cup cooled brewed coffee
- Add banana, milk, hemp, peanut butter, cocoa, cinnamon to blender. add ice cubes and coffee if using. Blend, taste and sweeten with maple syrup if desired.