Sometimes, you just want a really good sandwich.
This vegan white bean sandwich with crispy kale is JUST the thing. The creamy smashed white beans take just five minutes to mash up. They’ve got a bright and lemony flavour that goes so well with the dark, brooding flavour of the kale, which is roasted just shy of kale chip status.
And yes, a registered dietitian will put kale in just about anything, including her sandwich.
The one thing that most vegan sandwiches are missing
I love a good vegetable-filled sandwich…but I also want one that won’t leave me hungry thirty minutes later. Why are there so few vegan sandwich recipes with protein? Protein is critical for helping to keep your blood sugars in balance and you can’t just remove the meat from your fave sandwich. You’ve got to add back some plant-based protein. Beans are a phenomenal option to give you both protein and fibre, meaning lunch has got some staying power. If you aren’t gluten free, you can make this sandwich on sprouted grain bread which will give you even more protein and fibre.
The vegan white bean sandwich spread is also a great vegan meal prep option for lunches
If you make the smashed beans and crispy kale Sunday evening, you’ve got enough sandwich filling to last you until Friday if you spread it a bit more thinly. The kale will become less crispy in the fridge but it’s still so yummy. I’ve got a bunch of other vegan lunch ideas here.
Looking for a delicious and healthy gluten free bread recipe? If you’ve got a copy of Eat More Plants Cookbook, head to page 267 for a good one.
Easy Vegan White Bean Sandwich with Crispy Kale
- 1 large bunch curly kale destemmed and torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- tiny pinch dried chile flakes
Smashed White Beans
- 2 - 14 oz cans creamy white beans such as cannelini or navy drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic micro grated or crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- pinch smoked paprika optional
- 8 slices of your favourite bread
- vegan mayo
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit (205° Celsius). Prepare two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss kale pieces with olive oil, salt and chile flakes. Don't be tempted to add too many chile flakes or salt, as the seasonings will intensify as the kale pieces shrink in the oven.
- Roast kale for 5 minutes, rotate the trays and roast for 3-6 minutes more until kale is a bit crispy but not completely like a kale chip.
- If your kale fits on only one tray, it will cook more quickly than if you have to have kale on both racks. Watch carefully so the kale doesn't burn and set aside when done.
Smashed White Beans
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl or food processor, combine the white beans, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Add smoked paprika if using. Smash with a fork or pulse until the mixture looks like a chunky paste. If your beans seem dry, add a bit of olive oil to loosen them up. Taste and adjust lemon juice and salt to your liking.
Assemble the sandwiches
- Toast slices of your favourite bread, spread thinly with mayo and then add a half cup of bean mixture. Top with crispy kale and enjoy!