5 Min Spicy Vegan Mayo with Nutritional Yeast
Looking for a spicy vegan mayo to add a kick to your burgers and sandwiches? This umami-packed eggless mayo takes just a few minutes to whip up and I promise, you’ll want to add it to EVERYTHING!
It’s no secret that I think (almost) everything is better with a bit of mayo…which is why I always have a batch of my 3 minute avocado oil mayo in the fridge!
But most of the time, this spicy vegan mayo is what I’m actually dunking my fries into. In my world, more is more when it comes to flavour…and this delicious eggless mayo is packed with umami-boosting ingredients like onion powder and vitamin B12-rich nutritional yeast.
…Because if a vegan dietitian can get some extra vitamin B12 (and cheesy umami goodness) into a recipe, she will!
This is one of those plant-based recipes that has become an absolute staple in my house, and its origins are kind of hilarious: I wanted to make a sauce that tasted like A+W seasoning.
Yep, that’s right…I love A+W so much that I tried to make a mayo that would taste like their paprika-spiked seasoning salt! I mean, what’s not to like about onion rings and beyond burgers?!?
The first time I figured this out, I did an actual nerdy happy dance. And as much as I used to be a Sriracha + mayo gal, I think my new creation is every bit as easy but even more addictively delicious. I created it for my kidney bean and oat burgers…but I’ve used it as the base for a creamy kale slaw, a potato salad, on pretty much every sandwich I can think of, like my chickpea tuna, and as a dip for veggies and tofu nuggets.
Safe to say, I just can’t get enough of it…and I hope you love it too!
Looking for more flavourful vegan recipes? Grab a copy of my Good For Your Gut cookbook, packed with over 90 flavourful, gut-friendly recipes.
Raid your pantry for these 5 ingredients!
All you’re going to do is grab a couple of pantry ingredients to add a little oomph to regular vegan mayo. And because you’re whipping it up from scratch you get to control the level of spice. Use a little…or a LOT!
- Vegan Mayo: you can whip up a homemade vegan mayo in like 3 minutes, or you can buy it. I think that Hellman’s vegan mayo is the most delicious store-bought option.
- Hot sauce: I developed this recipe using Valentina’s Extra Hot sauce, which is my fave, but if you want something less spicy, use the regular Valentina’s. Also, you can totally use any sauce you have on hand, from sriracha to Tabasco, Tapatio to gojuchang.
- Nutritional Yeast: nutritional yeast is a cheesy, vitamin packed sprinkle that makes everything more delicious. A total plant-based staple.
- Onion powder: one of my go-to ingredients for giving vegan food that umami edge so it’s extra delicious
- Paprika: I use a sweet mild paprika here but you could absolutely play around with a hot and/or smoked paprika
How to make this easy spicy vegan mayo
It couldn’t be simpler to make this flavorful spicy vegan mayo…there’s only one step: mix everything together in a glass jar, fasten with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use!
Spicy Vegan Mayo Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
- This spicy vegan mayo will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. It’s a nice thing to whip up on Sunday so you can have it on hand all week long.
- You can absolutely customize this sauce to your taste: add as much or as little of your favourite hot sauce as you like. Use mild or hot, sweet or smoked paprika. Try some garlic powder instead of onion powder…the sky’s the limit!
- So many ways to use! Use it as a dip for chips, fries or veggies. Slather it on burgers, sandwiches and wraps. You can also thin this mayo out with some oil, lemon or lime juice to make a dressing or sauce for a salad or grain bowl. DELICIOUS in place of mayo in a pasta salad or potato salad recipe.
More vegan sauces and dips
- 5 Minute, No Cook, Vegan Cashew Alfredo Sauce
- Creamy 3-Minute Vegan Avocado Sauce
- Vegan White Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- Edamame Sesame Dip with Miso
- This Queso Fiesta is your new favourite party dip. And it’s nut free.
5 Min Spicy Vegan Mayo with Nutritional Yeast
- ⅔ cup vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, I like Valentina's Extra Hot, use a garlic-free sauce for low FODMAP
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon onion powder, omit for low FODMAP
- ½ teaspoon paprika, I use sweet mild paprika but feel free to improvise!
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a small mason jar, mix together the mayo, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, onion powder, paprika and salt. Use immediately or fasten lid and refrigerate for up to one week.