Creamy 3-Minute Vegan Avocado Sauce
This easy avocado cream sauce is light, lemony, and an amazing addition to any meal. It’s creamy and quick to make, and delicious drizzled over tacos. Try it as a dip for veggies, a spread for avocado toast, or tossed with pasta! A versatile vegan sauce packed with healthy fats and fiber!
At the risk of being a cliche, I really do love avocados. The cook in me loves how versatile they are, and how they add a creamy texture to plant-based recipes. And the dietitian in me loves how nutrient-dense they are. Which is why I don’t shy away from using plenty of avocados in Eat More Plants Cookbook, Good For Your Gut Cookbook or here on the blog.
Sauces are one of my favourite things to make, because they can transform what you’re eating from blah to AMAZING. And a good vegan sauce recipe is easier to come by than you might think! Whether you are looking for a plant-based pesto recipe or an easy avocado crema to drizzle on top of a vegan taco recipe, I’ve got you covered.
And do I have a treat for you! As with many of my simplest recipes, this avocado cream sauce was borne out of trying to use up what was in the fridge. I was trying to think of a new sauce to jazz up my grain bowls and I just so happened to have three really ripe avocados I needed to use…but I didn’t want to do guacamole AGAIN. So I whipped up this dairy free avocado crema and could NOT believe how delicious it was!
How to make an avocado cream sauce
This vegan avocado cream sauce couldn’t be easier! It takes just 3 minutes to make: just grab oil, salt + pepper along with 3 core ingredients and you’ll be dipping and drizzling in no time! This sauce makes enough for 6 people…or just 2 really hungry ones ha!
- You can whisk and stir this by hand, but it’s even faster with a small food processor or handheld immersion blender.
- Zest a bit of one of your lemons, and then juice 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (usually 2 lemons!)
- Add the flesh of 3 avocados, the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, plus salt, pepper and lemon zest to taste. That’s it!
All the nutrition benefits of this avocado cream sauce
When food is delicious, it makes me happy…but in all honestly, it makes me 150% happier when the food that I love also is really good for me. This easy creamy avocado sauce is packed with nutrition so you’re nourishing your body with each luscious dollop.
What are the health benefits of avocados?
- Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats that help you absorb fat-soluble vitamins and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals.
- You might be surprised to know that avocados are a high fiber food, at about 13 grams per fruit. That means this silky little sauce contains a whopping 39 grams of fibre.
- Avocados also boast plenty of potassium – almost 500 mg in a half fruit! – to keep your heart healthy along with B vitamins like folate, for a healthy nervous system.
- Avocados also contain trace amounts important minerals like iron, calcium, zinc and copper. Not a huge amount, but when you’re on a plant-based diet, every little bit helps!
The flavour of this sauce is too light for my usual extra virgin olive oil, so I’ve used avocado oil – which contains the same core monounsaturated fat, oleic acid, as olive oil.
You are going to want to put this luscious dairy free avocado crema on EVERYTHING. It has a silky texture and light, bright flavour that makes it delicious spread on sandwiches, topping a grain bowl or as a dip. You could even use it as a creamy avocado sauce for pasta!
It takes just 3 minutes to make…and about that long to devour 🙂 If you’ve been struggling with how to tell if your avocados are ripe enough, check out this trick.
What to serve with this dairy free avocado crema
This vegan avocado cream sauce would be delicious tossed with pasta, topping your favourite tacos, or anywhere you’d usually use avocados! Try it with my 10-Minute Black Bean Tostadas, inside my black bean breakfast burritos, layered on my squishy buffalo white bean burgers or beet + walnut burgers or as a fun topping for my chickpea scramble.
How to ripen an avocado faster?
You need ripe avocados for this sauce…and they’re usually rock hard when you buy them at the store. To ripen avocados faster, place them in a paper bag with either an apple or banana, and the ethylene gas they release will help the avocados ripen faster.
How long does this creamy vegan avocado sauce keep?
This sauce will keep, tightly covered in the fridge, for 2-3 days easily. The lemon in the sauce will help prevent browning, which is a problem with avocados. If it separates, just give it a stir!
More Vegan Sauce and Spread Ideas
I’m a sauce gal…I believe that any meal is made better by sauce, dip or spread. Here are a few more vegan sauces that you might love!
- Omega 3-rich vegan pesto with parsley, walnuts and whole lemon
- Too good to be true (and nut free!) vegan queso
- Delicious low sugar cranberry sauce for any time of year
- A vegan brown gravy packed with sliced mushrooms
- Nourishing Maple Tahini Dressing (5 min!)
- 5 Minute, No Cook, Vegan Cashew Alfredo Sauce
Creamy 3-Minute Vegan Avocado Sauce
- 3 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or other light tasting oil like almond
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- pinch lemon zest
- Food Processor
- Puree all ingredients in a food processor – or with a handheld blender – until silky smooth. Adjust seasoning and thickness (with extra water) if necessary.