Crispy Vegan Brussels Sprouts Tacos
These crispy vegan Brussels sprouts tacos come together in one pan, so they’re super easy to make whenever the craving strikes. They’re inspired by my fave Brussels sprouts tacos from Tacofino, with a few dietitian-y touches (like not deep frying the Brussels!)
I love tacos. Not a newsflash, for sure…but I’ll pretty much put anything in a taco. And yet, before I ate the Brussels sprouts tacos at my local Tacofino, I had never thought to put what is perhaps my favourite veggie into tacos.
My life has been changed.
I have kept the recipe pretty faithful to the original:
- crispy Brussels sprouts
- hash brown potatoes
- shredded cabbage
- mayo…and if you have 5 extra minutes, you should make my homemade avocado oil vegan mayo
Then I added a few of my own touches, like smashed cumin-y white beans for extra protein and fibre so you’ll actually get full. Plus pickled jalapeños because pickles >>> regular garnish.
How to get crispy Brussels sprouts without deep frying
For these Brussels, all you need is a good nonstick pan with a lid and a resistance to fuss with them. By adding enough oil, and covering the Brussels sprouts, they caramelize and steam at the same time so you don’t end up with raw and burnt sprouts. Cuz that’s the worst.
- add oil to the pan and preheat over medium-high
- add the Brussels, cut side down, to the pan – the Brussels should sizzle a bit when they hit the pan
- cover the pan and leave them for 3-4 minutes, checking for doneness earlier if you have really small sprouts.
- turn down heat to medium and then flip Brussels to brown on the other side
Benefits of Brussels Sprouts
My love of Brussels sprouts goes deep…I’ve been gobbling them up since I was a kid. See? Total food nerd since birth.
I know that not everyone loves ’em, but it’s usually because we’re subjected to overcooked, sulphurous mush masquerading as sprouts. Roasted or pan-fried, or even raw and shredded, they’re so delicious. Perhaps even…in a crispy Brussels sprouts taco? Hmm? Convinced yet?
They also come with a ton of nutritional benefits too, if that helps!
- A member of the cruciferous veggie family, along with kale, cabbage and broccoli, Brussels sprouts contain special sulphur-containing phytochemicals called glucosinolates that have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
- Brussels sprouts are also rich in fat-soluble vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting, bone health and even fighting chronic inflammation.
- Brussels sprouts contain plenty of vitamin C to support immunity and skin health – vitamin C is critical for collagen formation.
- Brussels sprouts boast reasonable amounts of vitamin A (skin and immune health), folate (nervous system and blood) and manganese (energy metabolism, antioxidant and skin health).
Looking for more vegan taco recipes?
Crispy Vegan Brussels Sprouts Tacos
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
Cumin-smashed white beans
- 14 oz can white beans, such as cannelini or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- squeeze lemon or lime juice
- freshly cracked pepper
- 8 small tortillas, gluten free or whole grain
- pickled or fresh sliced jalepenos
- your favourite hot sauce, I love Valentina's here
- vegan mayo, don't skip this!
- shredded cabbage, cilantro or parsley
- In a small bowl, mash together the white beans, oil, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, lemon and a bit of hot sauce. Taste and adjust salt, lemon or hot sauce as you wish. Set aside.
- Heat up a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with the 2 tablespoons (30ml) of oil. Place Brussels sprouts, cut side down, in skillet and cover for 2-4 minutes, until sprouts are crispy and browned on the bottom. If your sprouts are smaller, definitely check at 2 min just in case!
- When browned, turn heat down to medium. Turn sprouts over (cut side up) and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and cook until other side is browned about 2-3 min. Remove to a platter and set aside.
- In the same pan on medium, add hashbrowns and cook according to package directions until browned and crispy, about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add to platter.
- Turn heat down to medium low and gently warm smashed beans. Turn off heat.
- To assemble, spread tortillas with mayo (like I said, don't skip this step!). Add a scoop of smashed beans, some hashbrowns, and Brussels sprouts. Top with hot sauce, pickled jalepenos and greens as you wish!
6 Comments on “Crispy Vegan Brussels Sprouts Tacos”
Just printed this recipe, it has be drooling a wee bit at 9 a.m. Thanks for sharing.
Ha ha, love it!
Another delicious – out of the box recipe! Thank you Desiree!
I’m so glad you like them Gillian! I’ll take Brussels any way I can get ’em.
Thank you for taking the time to review the recipe 🙂
This recipe sounds delicious. I am planning meals for lent and this taco recipe is perfect…I can’t wait to try it. Oh yes, we love Brussels!