I’m always in the mood for tacos. Which is why I put two different taco recipes in the Eat More Plants cookbook. Of course, two recipes isn’t nearly enough… I’ll take as many ways to taco as I can get my hands on!
Kimchi tacos are clearly a thing in restaurants but since I had yet to try a good plant-based version, I just went ahead and created my own. Chickpeas a great neutral foil for any flavour you wish – but they are also a bit problematic for a taco as they are likely to roll right out of the tortilla, so I took a page from my chickpea scramble and smashed em into a delicious little umami bomb laced with tamari and then layered them with garlicky, spicy kimchi and added in a drizzle of avocado lime crema.
These are not like any taco you’ve tasted – in the best possible sort of way. They pack plenty of fibre, protein and healthy fats. Garlic and ginger are anti-inflammatory all stars. I’ve added fermented foods and some greens. That’s what I can a nutrient-dense win.
And minus the kimchi, even my kids loved them! Bonus.
Smashed Chickpea Kimchi Tacos
- 3 tbsp gluten free tamari
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 398 ml cans chickpeas
Avocado Lime Crema
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup vegan kimchi chopped
- 1 lime quartered
- 2 radishes thinly sliced on a mandolin
- In a small bowl, whisk tamari, sesame oil, maple syrup and Sriracha. Set aside.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add carrot and cook for three minutes, stirring occasionally until it begins to turn golden brown. Add garlic and ginger, stirring frequently for one minute.
- Add the chickpeas and smash with the back of a fork until ¾ of the chickpeas have been smashed. Turn off the heat and stir in sauce until well combined.
- In a small blender or bullet, add the avocado, water, lime juice, salt and cumin and blend until well combined. Use additional water as needed to adjust consistency if you want a more drizzle-able crema.
- To serve, divide chickpea mixture among 8 corn tortillas. Top each taco with 1 tbsp kimchi, drizzle with avocado crema and add cilantro and radishes. Serve two tacos with a lime wedge.