Common slip-ups + trouble-shooting on a plant-based diet: Solo episode with Desiree!
It’s time for another solo episode!!! I heard you loud and clear…apparently, you don’t mind listening to me talk into your ears all by myself so this week, I thought I would tackle some common slip ups on a plant-based diet. GASP! Yes, ANY eater can find themselves in a sticky situation sometimes, even folks on a plant-based diet.
As many of you know, I’ve been a dietitian for over a decade—and there are certain questions I get asked again and again, so I wanted to share the most common issues I see when folks go plant-based, why they happen … and most importantly, what to do about it. This episode is all about ADVICE on how to avoid those common pot holes, so I hope you enjoy it!
Also! We have just 3 episodes left in Season 2 and then we’re going to take a little break because my new gut health cookbook, Good For Your Gut, is coming out May 3rd!! My goal for this book was to create something you’ll want to cook from week after week—but also to give you a gut health guide that you can keep referring to whenever you need some support.
Gah, I am so excited for you guys to see it! In addition to over 90 recipes including high fibre, low FODMAP and gluten free options, it contains a whopping 100 pages of info all about how your gut actually works, what the microbiome is, and what nutrition your gut needs to stay healthy. Plus, we tackle the most common gut issues, like constipation, reflux and even irritable bowel syndrome.
You can head to desireerd.com/books/good-for-your-gut-cookbook/ to learn more about the book and jump in on the special pre-order bundle you get by ordering BEFORE May 3!
Now let’s dive into this week’s show …
On this episode we chat about:
- Why it’s important to openly acknowledge the trip-ups or issues people might come across when starting a plant-based diet (or any wellness shift for that matter!)
- Why you’re craving sugar all of the time
- A critical tip for the meat-to-plant transition: swap, don’t remove!
- Why you can’t live on veggies alone
- Why vitamin + mineral supplements still play a critical role (on ANY diet)
- The importance of having an action plan (and tips for making one!)
- Why the plate method is ACTUALLY revolutionary
- The truth about hyper-processed foods vs whole foods
- The importance of Vitamin D and B12 for plant-based folks! (And why diet can only do so much)
- Why the “bioavailability” of certain foods should be taken into consideration when reading nutrition labels
- Is a multivitamin essential to nutrition? I give your “community question” my answer!
Learned something new? Have questions?
Keep the conversation going on Instagram! Screenshot this episode and tag us @theallsortpod @desireenielsenrd with your questions and/or comments!
AND, if you have a question you want me to answer on the pod, hop into the free Nutrition with Desiree Community and pop it in there!
Thanks for supporting our little pod! You can help us spread the word by rating, reviewing, or subscribing to us on your fave podcast app! Or go old-fashioned and text it to a friend! Every listen is deeply appreciated.
- REBBL, a line of functional drinks available in the US.
- Rose Oil cleanser and Gold Oil serum from Monastery skincare.
- Lindt’s oat milk chocolate. Run, don’t walk.