Healing the gut by healing the whole person + fiber fueled microbiomes with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz
What a way to close season 2! I am SO excited to share this episode with you because we are speaking to none other than Dr. Will Bulsiewicz, MD MSCI. “Dr. B” is a plant-based board certified gastroenterologist, gut health expert, and New York Times bestselling author of Fiber Fueled.
In the show today, we are going to share so much actionable information to help you strengthen and heal your gut inspired by the book—including, how to figure out (and improve!) your food intolerances. Yep, even histamine intolerance.
As a plant-based dietitian with my own book on gut health coming out this May, I know I’m biased, but I absolutely think you are going to want to run out and preorder Dr. B’s book asap—especially with all of its delicious recipes and revolutionary info. So let’s dive in…
About Dr. Will Bulsiewicz:
Dr. Will Bulsiewicz (or “Dr. B”) is an award winning gastroenterologist, internationally recognized gut health expert, and the New York Times-bestselling author of Fiber Fueled and The Fiber Fueled Cookbook. He sits on the Scientific Advisory Board of ZOE, has authored more than twenty articles published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, has given more than forty presentations at national meetings, presented to Congress and the USDA, and has taught over 10,000 students how to heal and optimize their gut health. He lives in Charleston, South Carolina with his wife and children.
On this episode we chat about:
- How fibre just might be the sexiest part of a plant-based diet!
- The importance of a holistic view of human biology
- The problem with medical schools only incorporating 2 weeks of nutrition education
- How the trillions of microbes in our colon can affect our mood + genetic expression
- Why consuming a VARIETY of whole plants empowers our microbes
- Why nutrition isn’t the be-all end-all once you realize how stress & trauma affect the gut
- The importance of our interpersonal relationships which can be more important than even diet, exercise and sleep
- Why there’s enormous power in being heard by health experts
- The “G.R.O.W.T.H. strategy” and how it can better tackle—and heal—our digestive ills
- Why food elimination is not a long term solution and how to take the next step
- Histamine intolerance, tips to fix it, AND why we shouldn’t vilify this important compound
- Gut barrier dysfunction and the importance of the gut barrier (Can legumes add years to your life? Listen to find out!)
- Some research-based approaches to help deal with stress
Learned something new? Have questions?
You can also join our free online community, Nutrition with Desiree by clicking here!
Thanks for supporting our little pod! You can help us spread the word by rating, reviewing, or subscribing on your fave podcast app!
And of course, if you enjoyed a specific episode, it helps us TONS if you share it with friends and family. We appreciate every. single. listen. Thank you!
Connect with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz:
Dr. Will Bulsiewicz’s Recommendations:
The American Gut Project (the largest study to date on the health of the gut microbiome)
Gut Feelings: Disorders of the Gut-Brain Interaction by Dr. Douglas A. Drossman
Desiree’s own book Good For Your Gut (REALLY! The man sings her praises!)