10 Reasons to Love Garlic!
Did you know that garlic has its own day? It’s April 19th! Wanting to be ahead of the bulb, I thought I would share 10 reasons to love garlic…here my ode to the stinking rose.
1. Garlic may help improve your iron metabolism. Compounds in garlic, called diallyl sulfides, help build a transporter that allows stored iron to move across cells.
2. Crushing garlic and letting it sit for a few minutes helps improve the levels of beneficial sulfur compounds.
3. The ancient Greeks ate garlic to build strength before athletic competitions! I cannot imagine the smell…
4. A garlic compound called thiacremonone may help block inflammation in the body.
5. It makes hummus taste amazing.
6. Marinating meats in garlic before grilling can help to lower cancer-causing substances called heterocyclic amines (HCAs)
7. Sulfur compounds in the blood can increase levels of hydrogen sulfide gas, which helps lower blood pressure.
8. Daily intake of garlic is associated with lower risk of many forms of cancers.
9. Whole garlic is superior to supplemented extracts for health benefits.
10. Roasted, it is a luscious alternative to butter, when spread over good bread.
Enjoy…and don’t forget to chew some parsley so you don’t stink everyone out of the room post-garlic!