Chasing Joy and Baking Plant-based Cakes with Lyndsay Sung
If there is one thing that makes people happy, it’s cake. And if anyone knows how to make a cake that is guaranteed to bring people joy, it’s Lyndsay Sung. Lyndsay is the baker and creative behind Coco Cake Land, the blog and instagram account filled with cute confections that are sure to bring a smile to your face.
Since the early days of blogging, Lyndsay’s kawaii (that’s Japanese for cute) cakes have gone viral more than a few times but one of the things I love most about Lyndsay is that she actively chooses to build a life that chases fun, beauty and connection.
For example, she’s a bass player in not one but TWO bands. She’s got degrees in both gender studies and fine art, leading some to call her a “feminist craftivist”. She even picked up soccer a few years back, just for the heck of it.
In this episode, we’re going to talk a LOT about cakes, of course (Lyndsay has just released her second book, Plantcakes: fancy and everyday vegan cakes for everyone!) but a clear throughline of this conversation is staying open and curious about life and going after what makes you happy or brings a smile to your day.
…so I hope this episode will do just that!
About Lyndsay Sung:
Lyndsay is a self-taught baker, cake designer and cookbook author! She is also a mom, a cat mom, and a lover of snacks! When she’s not whipping up a flour storm in the kitchen, Lyndsay can be found playing bass guitar in her mom punk band or plugging away like a teenager posting to her YouTube channel! (Yes, she is in her 40s and not a tween.)
On this episode we chat about:
- How Lyndsay got her start in baking
- The cookbooks that shaped her
- How Lyndsay found community and a career in the early days of blogging
- Why Lyndsay has been called a “feminist craftivist”
- The importance of chasing happiness and learning
- How Lyndsay’s art school background translated into cake decorating
- Simple zero-skill tricks to make your baking look cuter
- Why Lyndsay shifted to plant-based baking
- The secrets of vegan buttercream
- Lyndsay’s OTHER super cool creative hobby
Support the Pod!
We couldn’t make this podcast happen without the support of our amazing listeners…
If you love this episode, please share it with your friends and family, or take a minute to rate, review or subscribe on your favourite podcast app. We appreciate EVERY. SINGLE. LISTEN!
Connect with Lyndsay