Talking gut healthy snacks with dietitian Morgan Murdock
Are those gut healthy snacks you’re buying legit? What’s actually in them? And what should you be eating if you really want to take care of your gut? I’m talking all about the basics of good gut health, gut healthy snacks and sourdough with Chicago-based registered dietitian Morgan Murdock on The Allsorts Podcast!
Way back in 2019 I was at Expo West, North America’s largest natural foods expo and as I wandered the aisles upon aisle (there literally thousands of products on display!) I couldn’t help but notice that everything was trying to be a “gut healthy” snack. Of course, as a dietitian I immediately was checking ingredients to see what actually made these products “gut healthy” (some made sense and others definitely DIDN’T) and knew that this was going to hit shelves in a MAJOR way.
Fast forward a few years, and we’re definitely in it. So I thought it would be fun to have a little bit of a “dietitian confessional” with fellow gut health dietitian Morgan Murdock, founder of a new, yes, gut healthy snack brand, Unbothered Foods. We’re unravelling what makes a food gut healthy or gut friendly like low FODMAP foods vs what we actually look for in foods that promote gut health, such as foods that are high in fibre.
About Morgan Murdock RD:
Morgan Murdock is a digestive health dietitian turned food founder based in Chicago, Illinois. Morgan is the founder of Unbothered Foods, a gut-friendly food brand that creates deliciously-fermented sourdough crackers.
Before creating Unbothered Foods, she worked with hundreds of digestive health patients, helping them get to the root cause of their symptoms and create confidence around food again. Her patients are the inspiration for her food brand and she is on a mission to bring fun back to eating through delicious, gut-friendly food.
On this episode we chat about:
- A perhaps not unsurprising reason many people get into nutrition that few talk about
- How people think nutrition works vs how it actually works
- What eating for general gut health looks like vs eating to address digestive disease
- Why low FODMAP ISN’T a good gut approach for people without IBS
- Gluten and the Low FODMAP diet
- Why is sourdough okay for people eating low FODMAP?
- How do you know you’re getting properly fermented sourdough?
- Is sugar actually bad for your gut health?
- What “gut friendly” means in marketing vs what the science says
- What’s in those gut-friendly snacks, and do they really boost gut health?
- What you need to watch out for in gut-friendly snacks if you’ve got IBS
- What to focus on to build a gut healthy pattern
Support the Pod!
We couldn’t make this podcast happen without the support of our amazing listeners…
I love hearing your feedback on these episodes to be sure to join the conversation on our instagram @theallsortspod @desireenielsenrd @unbotheredfoods as well as in our Nutrition with Desiree community.
If you love this episode, please share it with your friends and family, or take a minute to rate, review or subscribe on your favourite podcast app. We appreciate EVERY. SINGLE. LISTEN
Connect with Morgan and Unbothered!
Episode Links + Recommendations:
If you want to try Unbothered Foods Sourdough Crackers, Morgan gave our community a discount code ALLSORTS15 for 15% off at their US retail partner Here Here Market!