Everything you need to know about the anti-inflammatory diet with Desiree Nielsen RD
Curious about anti-inflammatory nutrition? Well prepare to get nerdy in this solo episode, because host Desiree Nielsen RD is going to tell you everything you need to know about the anti-inflammatory diet.
Over a decade ago, the idea that chronic inflammation may be one of the root causes of – or exacerbating – chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease or even skin conditions like acne and rosacea – was considered controversial.
Now, it’s well accepted that most chronic conditions (even IBS!) are associated with higher inflammatory responses which means, of course, that there are A LOT of opinions on what an anti-inflammatory diet looks like.
But what does the science say? And is it really as simple as avoiding “inflammatory” foods? Desiree is going to break it ALL down and by the end of this episode, you’ll know almost everything you need to know about anti-inflammatory nutrition and if you’re still hungry for more, than definitely pick up Desiree’s book on anti-inflammatory eating, Eat More Plants.
On this episode we chat about:
- What is inflammation…and is it all bad?
- The difference between acute and chronic inflammation
- How do you know if you have chronic inflammation?
- Seven major causes of chronic inflammation
- The 4 key factors in crafting an anti-inflammatory diet
- Do omega 6 fats cause inflammation?
- Why what you feed your microbiome matters
- Is sugar inflammatory?
- Which cooking oils to use
- Nightshades and inflammation
- 3 very doable everyday ways you can combat inflammation
Support the Pod!
We couldn’t make this podcast happen without the support of our amazing listeners.
If you love this episode, please share it with your friends and family, or take a minute to rate, review or subscribe on your favourite podcast app. We appreciate EVERY. SINGLE. LISTEN!
Episode Links + Recommendations:
- Desiree’s post on Nightshades
- Desiree’s post on Lectins
- The Allsorts Podcast episode on oils and inflammation
- Eat More Plants Cookbook
- The Sculpt Society
- O-p-e-n mindfulness app
- Apothekary Take the Edge Off
- Nap Ministry
- Rest is Resistance by Tricia Hersey
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of The Allsorts Podcast, which is produced by myself and edited by Brian McCalman. We are grateful to live and work and learn on the unceded and ancestral territory of the squamish, musqueum, and tsleil-waututh peoples.