How to Reclaim Your Relationship to Eating and Make Food Feel Good, with Lindsay Pleskot, RD
Do you remember a time in your life when you didn’t think about what you ate? You just, ate? For most of us, this is probably when we were kids: we ate broccoli and ice cream with equal aplomb—well, maybe not broccoli but you get the idea. Wouldn’t it be nice to get back there, to make food feel good? Buckle up friends, this episode is gonna be a juicy one because today we’re talking to one of my dearest friends, dietitian Lindsay Pleskot, about how to reclaim your relationship to eating and make food feel good.
It’s non-diet January around here and I’ve got to say that these conversations around reclaiming wellness as a practice that actually helps us take care of ourselves, has got me really excited. This episode is a heavier one at times, but it’s an important one—especially for those of you who have struggles with food guilt, loss of control with food, or confusion around how to just eat what you WANT to eat. Lindsay has spent years in the field and her own personal story of overcoming food struggles gives her the authority and compassion to advise us along the way.
Ready? Let’s dive in.
About Lindsay Pleskot:
Lindsay is a Registered Dietitian (also in the process of becoming a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor) speaker, and writer on a mission to make food feel good, body, mind, and soul. She has been featured in/on The Huffington Post, Global BC, CBC News, CKNW radio, Canadian Living, and Chatelaine among other popular media outlets. Using a blend of science based nutrition with mindful and intuitive eating practices she helps her community nourish their cells from the inside out while finding a peaceful relationship with food and their bodies. Lindsay believes that food has the ability to connect us more deeply to ourselves, our community and world around us.
On this episode we chat about:
- What intense food cravings are telling you (It’s probably not what you think!)
- Why unrestrictive eating is NOT the same as eating burgers and fries 24/7
- How to enjoy food again without feeling guilty or out of control
- How to reconnect with our bodies and notice the signals that are giving us those intuitive cues of hunger, fullness, and satisfaction
- The importance of incorporating mindfulness into our mealtimes and daily routines
- What “Intuitive Eating” actually is (PS: it’s NOT intuitive fasting, don’t even get her started on that bs!)
- How diet culture has infiltrated what we believe is healthy
- What Lindsay calls “eating around what you really want”—and how to confront it!
- Learning how to trust your body and overcome fears by building muscle memory
- What it means to eat healthfully but also to allow all foods a place in your life
- What true unconditional permission is and why it will help us make the best food choices
- How Lindsay’s own food journey brought her to where she is today
Learned something new? Have questions?
We are SO excited to have Aura Inner Beauty, creators of inner beauty products, like Desiree’s current fave, Inner Focus, with ashwagandha and lion’s mane. Aura Inner Beauty has offered Allsorts listeners 15% off with the code ALLSORTS15 until March 1, 2022.
Thank you for supporting our amazing sponsors, and Canadian woman-owned business!
And doors are now open for the 2022 Eat More Plants Challenge, which begins January 10, 2022!
Connect with Lindsay Pleskot:
Lindsay’s Make Food Feel Good Program: lindsaypleskot.com/make-food-feel-good-program/
Lindsay Pleskot’s Recommendations:
The Intuitive Eating Book by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
Anti Diet by Christy Harrison