What does it actually mean to be healthy? Solo Episode with Desiree!
Hey friends, it’s Desiree! Happy New Year and welcome to non-diet January! This week, we’re doing something a little different. You’re gonna hang with ME today! Yep, just me, my thoughts, and your ears. All cozy like.
This season I’ll be releasing a few solo episodes so we can do some deep dives into my favourite juicy topics, like this week where we talk all things HEALTH. What does it really mean to “be healthy” and what exactly makes one food bad and another healthy?!?
If you had asked me these questions a decade ago, you would have gotten a VERY different answer. In the show, I’ll explain why—and talk a little about some common health perceptions, my opinion on health myths, and why we need a radical shift in the influencer definition of health.
After you listen, let me know what you think of this solo episode. What other seemingly generic topics do you want to see me cover—and give some nuance to? AND, if you have a question you want me to answer on the pod, hop over into the Nutrition with Desiree Community and pop it in there, it’s free!
So let’s dive into this week’s show …
On this episode we chat about:
- The difference between “good” and “bad” foods? Is there really one?
- What does “healthy” really even mean?
- Orthorexia, and the irony of rigid diets and stress around so-called “unhealthy” foods
- Whether or not weightloss is actually a benefit for us
- Why BMI is such a bad measure of true health
- The complexity behind the access to the types of foods available to us
- HAZE: health at any size, and ACTUAL health metrics such as cholesterol levels or blood sugar control or eating more nutrient dense foods in line with the national nutrient recommendations
- What IS a healthy food? And what places a food in this category?
- The basic foods that have been TOTALLY vilified for no good reason
- The Plate Method. What it is and why it’s a good measure for nutrient dense meals, but why it should never become another food rule
Learned something new? Have questions?
Thanks for supporting our little pod! You can help us spread the word by rating, reviewing, or subscribing to us on your fave podcast app! Or go old-fashioned and text it to a friend!
And doors are now open for the 2022 Eat More Plants Challenge, which begins January 10, 2022!