“Scrappy” cooking to help you eat more plants with Carleigh Bodrug
Plant-curious…but don’t know where to start? Wanting to cook more and take out less…but worried because your skills don’t reach past making toast? (or burning it?!) Well then, THIS is the episode for you!
In today’s show, Desiree talks to Carleigh Bodrug, the unstoppable force behind the popular blog, TikTok, and now cookbook, PlantYou!
Since going plant-based in 2015, Carleigh has amassed a community of over a million strong with her innovative take on whole food plant based cooking. Her “scrappy” cooking series, where she turns common food scraps into delicious plant-based dishes, has been featured on the Rachel Ray show and GMA Food.
Carleigh genuinely democratizes plant-based cooking, making it truly approachable with her easy-to-follow yet flavourful recipes that aren’t hard on the budget.
This episode is about ditching the notion of the perfect vegan…and celebrating the abundance and joyfulness of plant-based eating whether you’re a veteran or a newbie. So let’s dive in!
About Carleigh Bodrug:
Starting as a personal blog, PlantYou has grown into a popular website, digital meal planner, weekly podcast, and vibrant vegan brand. Since going plant-based in 2015, plant-based food blogger and video creator Carleigh Bodrug has created a community of well over a million followers across PlantYou’s social channels Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and more. Carleigh’s popular sustainable “scrappy” cooking series that helps transform common food scraps into tasty, low cost, zero-waste recipes has been featured on Rachael Ray Show and GMA Food and she recently showcased her popular recipes on Canada’s The Social.
On this episode we chat about:
- How Carly’s dad’s diagnosis started her on her plant-based journey
- How to wet your feet in the vegan pool! Tip: if you’re hesitant, just start adding plant-based foods (like lentils!) to traditional meat dishes (like Bolognese!)
- What tools Carleigh believes are indispensable if you’re new to cooking
- Why plant-based cooking doesn’t mean being restrictive, and in fact can open you up to so many MORE new foods you may have never eaten before
- What inspired her to start her social media accounts and what she was doing while beginning to build her audience
- Her new book, PlantYou!
- Advice to creators just starting out and wanting to grow your platform: hello VIDEO content
- Carleigh’s top “back pocket” recipes to whip out when you don’t know what to cook
- Why there’s no such thing as vegan perfection and why it’s okay to take your time to transition
Learned something new? Have questions?
You can also join our free online community, Nutrition with Desiree by clicking here!
Thanks for supporting our little pod! You can help us spread the word by rating, reviewing, or subscribing on your fave podcast app!
And of course, if you enjoyed an episode, it helps us TREMENDOUSLY if you share with friends and family. We appreciate every. single. listen. Thank you!
Connect with Carleigh Bodrug:
Carleigh’s debut book, PlantYou: 140+ Ridiculously Easy, Amazingly Delicious, Plant-Based, Oil-Free Recipes
Tik Tok: @plantyou
Carleigh Bodrug’s Recommendations:
Fiber Fueled by Dr. Will Bulsiewicz, “The Gut Health MD”
Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
How Not to Die by Michael Greger