30 Minute Vegan Alfredo + Mushroom Pasta
Looking for a healthy vegan pasta recipe that’s quick AND family friendly? You’re going to fall in LOVE with this delicious vegan alfredo pasta recipe. It’s creamy, nutritious + it comes together in 30 MINUTES flat using only 9 simple ingredients!
During the week, I am the queen of the quick vegan dinner. Even though I cook for a living, I still know the crush of getting dinner on the table for a hungry family after work! Enter this creamy vegan alfredo pasta, that is both dietitian approved and one of those plant-based recipes that will have even skeptics asking for more. The secret? My amazingly simple 5 minute cashew alfredo sauce. And if you love this one, check out my cookbooks Eat More Plants + Good For Your Gut for more nutrient-dense vegan recipes that never sacrifice flavour for nutrition.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
But wait, is pasta healthy?
Take it from a dietitian: yes it is my friends! Pasta (and other grain-based noodles) have been a part of traditional diets the world over, from Italy to China. Italian style pasta is a very simple food made from just wheat flour and water and – while I would absolutely love for you to eat more 100% whole grain pastas – here is what you need to know about regular ol’ white pasta:
- When cooked al dente, white pasta actually has a low glycemic impact, with a glycemic index typically in the 40s (less than 55 is considered low GI).
- It contains way more protein than you think it does, about 10 grams per serving depending on the brand.
- Eating it with a source of healthy fats, plant-based protein + fibre will moderate the glycemic impact even further.
So YES, eat 100% whole grain pasta whenever you can for more nutrition. Toss with zoodles to boost veggie intake. Choose legume-based pastas when you want a protein boost. Or gluten free pastas if you have celiac disease. But don’t ever think plain old pasta is unhealthy!
Vegan Alfredo Pasta Ingredients
All you need to make this quick vegan alfredo pasta is 9 simple ingredients and 30 minutes!
- 12 ounce (340 gram) package of your favourite pasta, or a 1 pound (450 gram) pack for larger appetites!
- 1 pound (450 grams) mixed mushrooms, such as crimini, shiitake, oyster, or others
- raw cashews
- nutritional yeast
- fresh or dried thyme
- parsley, if you want to add a punch of green
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Tips, tricks + substitutions
- Allergic to nuts? You can substitute either sunflower seeds or hemp seeds for the cashews. Even with a high-speed blender, sunflower seeds MUST be soaked for 4 hours (or soaked in just boiled water for 2) before using. Hemp hearts don’t need soaking but they have a bit of a grassier flavour. You can adjust for this by using a bit of lemon juice or some extra garlic powder.
- Not into mushrooms? You could use absolutely any vegetable you wish. Toss in frozen peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking the pasta. Or wilt spinach by placing in the colander and then pouring over the cooked pasta and water to strain. Or roast up some broccoli.
- Gluten free? Use a legume-based gluten free pasta to make this recipe gluten free
More vegan healthy pasta recipes
30 Minute Vegan Alfredo + Mushroom Pasta
Mushrooms + Pasta
- 12 ounce package of your favourite pasta
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, crimini, oyster, shiitake, enoki, SLICED
- ½ cup curly parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- High Speed Blender
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- If you haven't already, make the cashew alfredo sauce in the blender.
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms + cook, until mushrooms release their liquid and start turning golden brown. Try not to stir too much.
- Add garlic and thyme and stir constantly for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with ½ teaspoons salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot, off the heat. Pour sauce over the pasta and toss to coat.
- Divide among 4 bowls and top with mushrooms and parmesan, if using