Easy Vegan Hot Corn Dip (no mayo!)
Prepare to be obsessed: I veganized the Pioneer Woman hot corn dip recipe and your parties will NEVER be the same. This easy vegan hot corn dip is made from cashews, so it is dairy free and has no mayo…but it brings ALL the flavour. Just 11 simple ingredients and 25 minutes of hands-on time!
Who here loves dip?? In case you can’t see it…my hand is raised WAY up. I love dips, dressings, and sauces because I love flavour. And this vegan hot corn dip recipe packs massive flavour and a hearty dose of “oh my gosh, what the heck is this delicious thing I can’t stop eating???” For real, I have been known to make a dinner of this dip with a few fresh veggies and some tortilla chips. It’s essentially a luscious cashew cream studded with yummy sautéed veggies.
As a dietitian, I love A) showing people how delicious eating whole plant foods can be and B) reminding you that food is meant to be FUN. We are inundated with messages about whether this or that food is healthy or – ugh – toxic, and it’s confusing, frustrating and a downright bummer. And it shouldn’t be.
Eating well is way simpler than you think, even if you’re working on improving your health…which is why I wrote Eat More Plants and Good For Your Gut Cookbook and it’s why I share so many simple plant-based recipes on this blog.
Why you’ll love this vegan corn dip recipe
- It’s dairy free, gluten free and has no mayo
- It’s made from nutrient-dense raw cashews
- It’s packed with vegetables!
- I veganized the Pioneer Woman hot corn dip recipe because she’s a legend and knows how to make cozy comfort food that everyone loves
- It’s every bit as cheesy and delicious as the original
Vegan Corn Dip Ingredients
You need just 11 simple ingredients, plus a bit of oil, salt + pepper and 25 minutes of hands-on time to prepare this dip.
- Fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Red Onion
- Red pepper
- Raw cashews
- Diced green chiles
- Nutritional Yeast
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Melty Shredded Vegan Cheese
Hot Corn Dip Tips, Substitutions and Storage
- You can serve this hot corn dip right out of the oven (don’t burn yourself!) or at room temperature, so it’s a great make ahead for a party spread or appetizer to satisfy hungry guests while you’re making dinner
- Allergic to cashews? You can absolutely substitute sunflower seeds, soaked overnight, or hemp hearts for the cashews. Both of these alternatives have a stronger flavour than cashews, so taste the cream before adding to the vegetables and adjust to taste. You may like a bit of lime juice to brighten, more salt, chili powder or more nutritional yeast. Even a tiny bit (maybe ½ tsp) sugar to balance any bitterness.
- Want even more veggies? Add a few handfuls of baby spinach to the vegetable saute.
- This dip will keep well, in the fridge, for up to 3 days…but I don’t think it will last that long!
- What to serve with corn dip? I love tortilla chips but you could also do a combination of whole grain crackers and sliced veggies too…as long as they are a bit wider to scoop up all the goodness!
More easy, nourishing vegan dips:
- Vegan Cashew Cream Fruit Dip (Healthy!)
- Fast vegan spinach dip (nut free!)
- Edamame Sesame Dip with Miso
- Pumpkin Hummus Toasts with Za’atar
Easy Vegan Hot Corn Dip
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ – 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup can of diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ pound melty shredded vegan cheese, I used Earth Island brand
- High Speed Blender
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and red pepper until soft + glossy, about 5 – 7 minutes. Add corn, jalapeño, garlic and chili powder and cook for 5-7 minutes more, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add cashews, water, diced green chilies, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder to a high speed blender. Blend for 1 minute on high until smooth. Pour over vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Scrape dip mixture into a 9×9 baking dish and cover with shredded vegan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and edges are set. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
6 Comments on “Easy Vegan Hot Corn Dip (no mayo!)”
Which plant-based cheddar cheese are you recommending smiley face? Many of the plant-based Dairy Replacements or anything but healthy. Gentle readers read the labels before you buy smiley face
Hi! So, to make this recipe you really do want the melty-type cheese, I used Earth Island. It’s not for nutrition…it’s for JOY! If you’re not into those sorts of cheese, you can absolutely omit and bake the dip, covered in foil so the top doesn’t dry out.
This is a brilliant recipe! It’s one which is fantastic as written and also versatile to adapt with other veggies and seasonings. I threw in some steamed spinach and roasted butternut squash and smoked paprika and made the sauce with a combo of cashews, hemp hearts and sunflower seeds. So good!
I am so glad you love it Linda! I am obsessed with it 🙂
A beautiful hot dip, thank you. 🌸
SO glad you enjoyed it!