I can’t believe that summer is officially drawing to a close. September marks a couple of major new beginnings…the birth of our daughter and my son’s first day of kindergarten. Needless to say, life is a bit busy around here!
The garden is getting put to bed for the fall and I can’t believe how successful my first year of gardening was. I would like to claim all the success for myself but we had amazing weather to help us along. Our little tomato plant turned jungle produced so many tomatoes that I was constantly trying to come up with ways to use them that didn’t involve a tomato salad…I am so pleased with how this succotash turned out.
This recipe represents the best of both worlds: something at its very best with succulent summer produce…and a recipe that you can continue to enjoy as the recipe cools because the ingredients are available year round.
This protein-rich dish can star as the main event, or enjoy it as a hearty salad for your next barbeque. It comes together quite quickly so makes a nice choice for a weeknight supper. I don’t think I will be spending more than 15 minutes on dinner prep for the foreseeable future.
Simple Summer Corn Succotash
- 4 cups corn kernels, cut from fresh or thawed
- 4 cups of your favourite cooked or canned beans (try black, pinto or white kidney beans)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese (or sub feta) (optional)
- 1 cup packed flat leaf parsley or cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, chopped or sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano (pref Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if using salted beans and/or corn, omit and only salt to taste)
- Heat large sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Saute onion until soft and translucent, about five minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano and cumin and stir for one minute.
- Add corn, beans and salt (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes to allow flavours to blend. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Remove from heat and place in a large serving bowl. Toss with tomatoes, cheese, parsley and top with avocado.