5 Minute Vegan Dill Dip with Cashew Cream
This 5 minute vegan dill dip will have everybody gobbling up their veggies!! It’s a snap to throw together in the blender, and the cashew cream base makes it super creamy. This craveable dill dip is also super versatile: use it as a vegan veggie dip, a creamy dill dressing or a sauce for grain bowls (or even pasta!)
There’s a saying that goes…what’s a vegan’s favourite food? And the correct answer is SAUCE: a good sauce or dip can bring any meal together and turn it from ho hum into WOW. Sauce is definitely my favourite food, if you can call it that?! Which is why you might have noticed that I’ve got a lot of delicious – and yes, easy – vegan dips, sauces and dressings on the blog.
Whether you’re looking for a 5 minute vegan alfredo for a quick weeknight dinner, an epic vegan spinach dip for movie night or just a really good garlic vinaigrette for your greens, I’ve got what you need to fall in love with your meal. Sauces are plant-based recipes that keep on giving.
And I’m not going to lie: my dietitian heart loves a dip that will help you gobble up more veggies. In fact, one of my surefire tips to get more veggies into your family is to just casually put out a plate of sliced veggies and dip as you’re making dinner. Say nothing: just watch all those veggies disappear! Of course, I love making veggie-rich meals too…you can always pick up a copy of Eat More Plants Cookbook if you need extra help in that department!
Okay, let’s get back to this too-good-to-be-true dill dip. After going underground since the 80’s, I really feel like dill deserves its moment back in the spotlight. Dill has a slightly sweet, fresh and grassy flavour with just a hint of licorice. It’s as complex and nuanced as the lyrics of a Taylor Swift album.
I wanted to create something that you could whip up whenever the craving strikes. It’s super creamy, but it’s got a bright flavour with just a hint of tang. I love this cold dip with fresh dill (and designed it to use up the whole package, so you’re not left with an annoying amount of leftovers) but you can totally substitute dried in a pinch.
Grab your ingredients for this easy vegan dill dip
Whether it’s snack time, or you need to whip up something quickly for a party, you only need 5 ingredients and a blender to make this incredibly delicious vegan dill dip! So raid your pantry and let’s get snacking…
- Cashews: cashews are so nutritious and make gorgeous, creamy vegan dips and sauces. If you have a high-speed blender, you do NOT need to soak your cashews. Allergic? Substitute sunflower seeds, soaked overnight.
- Fresh dill: I LOVE fresh dill and think it doesn’t get the love it deserves. You can use the fronds and tender stems (not tough center stalks). Only have dried dill on hand? It will still be yummy: start with 1 tablespoon dried and use up to 2 tablespoons total, to your taste.
- Apple cider vinegar: ACV provides a nice tang to brighten up this creamy dip..you could easily substitute lemon juice or white wine vinegar if that’s what you have on hand.
- Garlic powder: garlic powder is my not-so-secret move for building umami into vegan recipes. I like granulated garlic rather than the fine powder but either works!
- Salt and pepper: essential for creating a rich flavour. Go big on the pepper!
How to make a creamy vegan dill dip in just 5 minutes!
If I’m snacky, I don’t want to wait 30 minutes…I want to dip, now! My impatience demanded that I create this yummy cold vegan dip so it’s ready in less than 5 minutes, and the blender does all the work.
Step One: place water, cashews, dill, ACV, garlic powder, salt and pepper in the blender and blend until smooth! Start blending on low, until the cashews are fully broken up, then increase slowly until you can get it super smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
Step Two: serve it with chips or sliced veggies, drizzle it over grilled tofu or pasta or grain bowls! It keeps well too…so it’s a great dip to meal prep for midweek snacking.
Want a thicker dip? If you’ve got a good bullet-style blender, you can just cut the water to ¾ cup and blend. If you’ve got a large blender, here’s how you do it: boil the cashews for 5 minutes (a trick I learned from blogger Sam Turnbull), drain well and add to the blender with just ½ cup of liquid.
Desiree’s Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
- This dip keeps very well, in an airtight container, in the fridge for 4-5 days. Some separation is normal, just stir and enjoy!
- If you’ve only got dried dill on hand, it will create a different flavour profile but it will still be delicious! Start with 1 tablespoon of dried dill. Taste and if you want a bolder flavour, add 1 tsp at a time until you get to that perfect flavour.
- Allergic to cashews? You can soak an equivalent amount of sunflower seeds overnight, or, simply bring them to a boil for 5 minutes. Then just drain very well and toss in the blender. You may need to adjust salt, or add the tiniest pinch of sugar to offset the earthier taste of sunflower seeds.
More Easy Vegan Dips and Sauces
- Vegan White Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- Nourishing Vegan Beet Dip with Hemp Hearts
- Edamame Sesame Dip with Miso
- Fast Vegan Spinach Dip
5 Minute Vegan Dill Dip with Cashew Cream
- 1 ¼ cup raw cashews, or sunflower seeds (see tips section!)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup fresh dill, fronds and tender stems, packed
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper , to taste
- fresh dill, finely chopped
- cucumber, finely chopped
- High Speed Blender or a strong bullet blender
- Place cashews, water, dill, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper into blender. Blend on low until cashews broken up, then start slowly increasing the speed to medium then medium high until dip is smooth, about 1-2 minutes total.
- Serve with sliced veggies, chips or as a sauce on grain bowls, pasta or grilled tofu. Great spread on burgers too!