This vegan fresh peach and arugula salad absolutely screams summer. Zero cooking, just a few ingredients, and less than 15 minutes to make so you can stay cool as a cucumber! It also has a zippy, flavourful coriander chile vinaigrette that’s a nice change from the usual.
Salad season is the best season…and not just because I’m a registered dietitian trying to get you to eat more plants. I’m an absolute salad fanatic and could eat one every single day. But I also don’t create a lot of simple side dish salads so I thought I would create something to celebrate the perfection of summer fresh peaches and keep it light, bright and flavourful so you can enjoy it with whatever main dish you prefer.
Fresh Peach + Arugula Salad Ingredients
This fresh peach and arugula salad is vegan, naturally gluten free, and has just 4 main ingredients. The vinaigrette comes together with basic pantry staples (you might need to buy a chile!) and in less than 15 minutes, you’ll have a fresh salad with zero cooking.
Peaches: get local, ripe peaches if you can for the most flavour! Once ripe, move peaches to the fridge to preserve them at their peak.
Arugula: I like baby arugula here, it’s got a gentle peppery bite that compliments the sweetness of the peaches. Arugula is also a cruciferous veggie like its cousins kale, collards, and watercress, meaning it has plenty of powerful sulfur-based phytochemicals that support an anti-inflammatory dietary pattern.
Red onion: onions are powerful plant foods, packed with antioxidants and fermentable carbohydrates that feed your gut microbiome.
Avocado: avocado adds a creamy depth to the salad but also offers plenty of healthy fats, vitamin E and fibre to this salad to make it even more satisfying.
Health Benefits of Peaches
Summer fruits feel like luxury…so we can forget that they’re also super nourishing to our body (BONUS!) Here are just a few of the nutritional benefits of peaches:
- They contain vitamins A + C, important for supporting collagen production in the skin as well as energizing minerals, copper and manganese.
- They contain about 2 grams of fibre, both soluble and insoluble, and fermentable carbohydrates to boost digestion and the gut microbiome…take note: they contain FODMAPS so they aren’t suitable for a low FODMAP dietary approach!
- Peaches boast plenty of naturally occurring phytochemicals like carotenoids, caffeic acid, lutein, and zeaxanthin which clean up oxidative damage and help moderate inflammation.
Vegan Peach + Arugula Salad Storage, Tips + Substitutions
- This salad is super quick to whip up but you can absolutely make the vinaigrette ahead of time and keep it for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- If you think you’ll be storing leftovers, note that dressed arugula doesn’t hold up very well so I recommend serving it with dressing on the side. You can also give the avocado and peaches a quick toss in lemon juice to help prevent browning if the salad will sit out on a buffet for a while.
- If you don’t have peaches on hand, this salad would be delicious with other stone fruit such as ripe nectarines or plums.
- Looking for a little crunch? Add some chopped almonds or pumpkin seeds.
- If you don’t have fresh chile, add a hearty pinch of dried chile flakes to the vinaigrette instead.
More Vegan Summer Salads
- Easy Vegan Pasta Salad
- Avocado Ranch Potato Salad
- Greek Salad with Vegan Feta
- Cold Soba Salad with Ginger Sesame Vinaigrette
- Tomato Salad with Dates, Mint and Lemon Tahini Vinaigrette
Peach and Arugula Salad with Coriander Chile Vinaigrette
Peach Arugula Salad
- 4 big handfuls baby arugula about half a 5 oz (142g) clamshell
- 2 medium ripe peaches skin on, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado cubed and sprinkled with flaky salt
- ¼ medium red onion very thinly sliced
Coriander Chile Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ or 1 Thai or Fresno red chile sliced
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander crushed with a knife or a mortar and pestle
- ½ garlic clove crushed or micrograted
- ¼ teaspoon micrograted fresh ginger
- First make the vinaigrette: in a jam jar, add the vinegar, oil, chile, sugar, salt, coriander, garlic and ginger. Place lid on, shake up and set aside.
- In a medium salad bowl or on individual plates, arrange arugula, peaches, avocado and red onion. Either toss with dressing or serve with dressing on the side.