10 Minute Fast Spinach and Arugula Salad
This fresh and flavorful spinach and arugula salad with juicy tomatoes and creamy avocado is perfect when you need to throw together a simple, healthy side dish in a flash! It takes just 10 minutes to make, including the garlicky vinaigrette that makes it easy to eat your greens.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I have to admit, I think of salads more as a main event than a side dish…but sometimes, a meal just needs something MORE and throwing together a fresh and flavourful vegetable side dish is exactly what the situation calls for.
This super fast spinach and arugula salad with juicy tomatoes and creamy avocado is the perfect quick side salad that will help elevate your meal and get those greens into your bod. It’s a plant-based recipe that works well when someone asks you to be in charge of the salad…or, when all you want for lunch is a big bowl of green things and you don’t want to spend more than 10 minutes making it happen.
And in case you need even more inspiration to get those plants on your plate, be sure to pick up a copy of Eat More Plants, and “energized” will be your new MO in no time.
Put these ingredients on your shopping list
I envision this spinach and arugula salad two ways: as a side dish for 4 or a quick lunch for 2. If you’ve already got a hearty, main dish, you can use less or no avocado and nix the beans. But, if you’re looking for something to fill you up, the beans are a really good idea and you can add some more avocado too.
- Spinach Arugula Pre-washed Salad Mix: you can usually find this mix in the supermarket, or just blend your own with whatever you’ve got left in the fridge
- Avocado: Use half or whole depending on how filling you want your salad
- Cherry tomatoes: a multicolour tomato mix is nice here if you have it
- Vegan parmesan: a little hit of salt and umami never hurt…buy it, or make your own
- White beans: white beans are high in fibre and plant-based protein, making them a filling instant protein (just rinse and drain and use!)
- Garlic vinaigrette: because this is a simple salad, you want the dressing to bring the flavour. My garlic vinaigrette is super quick to whip up.
How to make this simple spinach and arugula salad
Step 1: Prep time (well, like 3 minutes). Rinse and drain the beans. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Dice or slice the avocado, as you like it. Shake up the garlic vinaigrette.
Step 2: place the spinach and arugula in a salad bowl or platter and toss with a bit of dressing. Top with white beans, tomatoes, and sprinkle the avocado and vegan parmesan.
Step 3: serve spinach and arugula salad with remaining dressing on the side.
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
- This salad wilts. Dress only right before serving!! Or, if you think there might be leftovers, serve salad undressed with dressing on the side.
- This combination of ingredients and dressing will taste delicious with any salad green, so use whatever you have on hand.
- Want to keep the avocado from going brown? Dice and toss with lemon juice before using!
- To make this a complete meal all on it’s own, you could add some cooked quinoa or farro, homemade croutons, or serve with a slice of sourdough or sprouted grain toast.
Love arugula? You need these arugula recipes
- Simple 10-Minute Red Beet Arugula Salad
- Roasted Delicata Orzo Salad with Arugula
- Italian Farro Salad with Arugula
- Fresh Peach Arugula Salad with Vinaigrette
10 Minute Fast Spinach and Arugula Salad
- 8 cups spinach and arugula salad mix, or a mix of your favourite greens
- 14 oz can white beans, like cannellini, butter or navy beans,drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ – 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- ½ cup vegan parmesan
- 1 batch Fresh Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
Optional, for serving
- 2 cups croutons
- Place greens in a salad bowl or platter and dress with ⅓ of the dressing right before serving, top with avocado, beans, tomatoes and parmesan.
- Serve with remaining dressing on the side.