You don’t have time in the morning? I get it…I have two kids and a husband to get organized. How about five minutes the night before? You can make overnight oats.
Overnight oats are a great way to enjoy the benefits of oatmeal – stable blood sugars, lowered cholesterol and a happy tummy – without having to spend all morning cooking it. Soaking breaks down the structure of the oats so they are easy to digest. The addition of Greek yogurt adds extra protein to keep you going but you can totally substitute coconut manna for Greek yogurt for a vegan version.
Blueberry Chia Overnight Oats
- 2 cups cashew milk (use almond, whatever you feel like)
- 1.5 cups rolled oats (can use GF oats too)
- 1.5 cups fresh or thawed blueberries
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (to your taste, omit if you like)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- The night before, mix the oats, cinnamon, chia seeds, milk, water and honey together in a medium bowl.
- Pour into three separate bowls or jars and stick in the fridge overnight or for at least 5-6 hours
- Before serving, dollop with Greek yogurt and blueberries on top of each bowl to serve.
Thank you to my student volunteer, Jason Lau for putting together this recipe for me!