5-Minute Blackberry Pie Overnight Oats
These blackberry overnight oats are such an easy and healthy vegan breakfast! Featuring fibre-rich blackberries and oats, this is a great gut-friendly breakfast that helps to build a healthy microbiome. Perfect for meal prep so you can get an energizing start to the day, even when mornings are chaotic.
Breakfast that tastes like dessert? Yes please! Maybe blackberry pie is your thing…or maybe it’s tiramisu overnight oats but either way, it’s going to be yummy!
One of the things I’ve learned in all my years as a dietitian is that the only way you’ll consistently get healthy food into your body is if you find recipes that suit your tastebuds AND your schedule. As a mom of 2 and an entrepreneur, I know that time isn’t always on your side. It’s why most of the recipes on this blog, and in my Eat More Plants cookbook, are pretty quick.
And it’s why overnight oats are one of my secrets to successful mornings when time is tight. I’ve got plenty of quick vegan breakfasts on my website, like my 5 minute chickpea scramble, but sometimes, any amount of morning prep seems impossible, and you need to do it the night before.
Overnight oats are inherently flexible, so you can change up the flavours constantly so you don’t get bored. And, you can make them in five minutes before bed when you know the morning is going to be manic, so you can grab them and head out the door with almost zero effort.
It’s also a really nutrient-dense breakfast. Whole grain oats are rich in fermentable soluble fibre, to help soothe your gut and build a healthy gut microbiome. Plant-based milks offer calcium and B12, two nutrients that are critical on a plant-based diet. Chia seeds offer more fibre, minerals like iron, and omega 3 fatty acids.
Health Benefits of Blackberries
I love berries for their sweet, juicy flavour, and their nutrition. Blueberries get a lot of the spotlight – and I have a delicious blueberry chia overnight oats recipe – but blackberries are such an overlooked fruit that I wanted to highlight just how awesome they are. Here’s why you want to get more of these gems in your bowl:
- Blackberries are one of the highest fibre fruits with 4 grams of fibre per half cup.
- Blackberries contain trace amounts of minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and zinc as well as folate and vitamins A + C (important for healthy skin!)
- They’re also very rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals such as anthocyanins and flavonoid compounds such as ellagic acid.
Blackberry Overnight Oats Tips + Substitutions
Overnight oats are inherently customizable, so use what you have on hand! For the best results, be sure to taste your oats in the morning and then adjust the milk to your desired consistency — as well as sweeten to taste. You also want to think about texture: overnight oats are a LOT of softness! Add some kind of crunch like chopped nuts, seeds, or cacao nibs to create balance.
- Use any plant-based milk you like! Almond or macadamia milk will create a lighter texture, oat and soy will add creaminess.
- To make these oats nut free, just use a nut-free milk such as oat milk and try adding pumpkin seeds or cacao nibs for crunch instead of the almonds!
- To make these oats low FODMAP, use strawberries in place of blackberries.
- These oats make for a great breakfast meal prep! You can make enough for the whole week, and store in individual mason jars for a grab-and-go breakfast.
Overnight Oats FAQs:
Yes! Soaking oats in plant-based milk overnight softens them and makes them easily digestible.
Standard oats are cross-contaminated with gluten, but oats are inherently gluten free. Just look for certified gluten free oats! Learn more about oats and celiac disease.
Instant oats will make a very soft, porridge-like consistency while steel cut overnight oats will take a lot longer (and more milk) to break down, so I don’t recommend it without a hot soak!
Yes! Just warm up briefly on the stove or in a microwave (try 30 seconds!)
More Vegan Oat Recipes
- 15-Minute Apple Pie Oatmeal
- High Fiber Steel Cut Overnight Oats
- Plum Oolong Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Spice Oats
- High Protein Overnight Oats (vegan!)
Blackberry Pie Overnight Oats
- ¾ cup fresh or thawed blackberries, divided
- ½ cup hemp milk, or unsweetened plant milk of your choice
- ⅓ cup rolled oats, gluten free if desired (learn about the benefits of oats!)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ lemon, zest only
- 1 pinch salt
- Maple syrup
- Plant-based milk
- In a small bowl, smash ½ cup blackberries. Mix in milk, oats, chia, almonds, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt. Place, covered, in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, taste and adjust milk and add maple syrup to your liking. Top with remaining blackberries.