Tart Cherry, Hemp and Cashew Cacao Bark
Sometimes, I find myself buying something and think to myself, I really could make this at home.
This is one of those recipes.
I’ve been snacking on these chocolate barks from a company I love called Prana but I do find them a bit sweet. So I thought I could give it a go and tailor them to my tastes.
Why don’t we all make our own chocolate barks?? It’s soooo easy. It takes 15 minutes, start to finish. The result is a lower sugar treat, packed with your favourite ingredients, that you can enjoy without the sugar rush. If you use raw cacao, you are also getting a decent dose of anti-inflammatory phytochemicals too!
Feel free to experiment with your favourite fruit and nut combinations…you could try pistachio, ginger and rose petals or golden berries, dried bananas and walnuts!
If you make this, be sure to tag me in your experiments on Instagram!
Tart Cherry, Hemp and Cashew Bark
- 3/4 cup coconut oil , (virgin or naturally refined)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons minced, uncrystallized dried ginger, (Ginger People and Buderims are great!)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of salt
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Gather and measure all of your ingredients before starting the recipe as it comes together quickly!
- In a double boiler, or a small heavy bottomed pot over the lowest heat setting you have (I have a melt setting on my stove so that is what I used), melt coconut oil until liquid.
- Whisk in cocoa, maple syrup, vanilla, hemp and salt until smooth
- Add half of the cashews, cherries and seeds and stir in. Pour onto cookie sheet and top with remaining cashews, cherries and seeds.
- Toss the cookie sheet into the freezer for ten minutes and then break into pieces. Store bark in a container in the fridge or freezer.