5 Minute Vegan Chocolate Dip with Almond Butter
Got a chocolate craving? This rich vegan chocolate dip, made with creamy almond butter, whisks up in just 5 minutes flat so you’ll be snacking in no time! It’s perfect for dipping fruit, cookies or just eating by the spoonful.
You know me…I can’t say no to a good dip. I greedily scoop up my vegan Buffalo chicken dip with chips. I gobble up hot corn dip with a spoon. And I even dunk my fruit into a creamy cashew fruit dip…so it’s time, my friends, for CHOCOLATE.
Chocolate and I actually have a complicated history that began with the discovery that I was allergic to it at 3 years old and somehow managed to mostly avoid it until I was a teenager. SHOCKING, I know.
And then there is my general preference for fat or salt over sugar, making most chocolate-flavoured things way too sweet for my taste. So when it comes to chocolate – which I do like by the way! – I prefer dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa (no, it’s not just because I am a dietitian and think it’s “healthier”) and my chocolate desserts with a bit of salt.
Which brings me to this creamy, rich, vegan chocolate dip: it’s one of those plant-based recipes that is way more than the sum of its parts. It’s thick, because I don’t like chocolate dips that dribble all over the place. It’s creamy, without tasting of coconut (my vegan pet peeve!) because I’m using mostly almond butter. And it’s surprisingly low in sugar, because it’s made with cocoa powder and just a bit of maple syrup.
Raid your pantry to make this vegan chocolate dip
The best part of this thick and chocolatey dip? You probably have each of these 6 ingredients in your pantry already, so you can make it right NOW!
- Almond Butter: I love almond butter for this recipe as it gives a richness that enhances the chocolate flavour without calling too much attention to itself. If you’re allergic to nuts, you could absolutely use sunflower seed butter or even tahini.
- Cocoa Powder: I’m using flavonoid-rich cocoa powder here for a couple of reasons; the first, is that it offers chocolate flavour with less sugar but the second – and most important – is that I’m lazy and using cocoa means you don’t have to melt the chocolate first ha! Looking for even more of an antioxidant boost? Use raw cacao powder instead.
- Coconut Cream: coconut cream is a higher fat version of coconut milk…both would work well here but coconut cream (more than 20% fat) offers extra richness.
- Maple Syrup: the rich flavour of maple syrup is the perfect fit for this dip but in a pinch, you could dissolve cane sugar in a couple of tablespoons of coconut cream and stir that into the dip because you want to keep the fluid content the same.
- Vanilla and Cinnamon: did you know that the reason why chocolate tastes like chocolate is, um, vanilla?? Don’t skip it! And the cinnamon is just enough to enhance the flavours without making the dip taste too much like cinnamon.
- Salt: salt is essential to creating a more flavourful dessert…all you need is a pinch!
How to make a yummy chocolate dip without dairy
I wanted to make a chocolate dip that was instantly crushable, so you could whip it up for a quick snack anytime. So there is no chocolate to melt, or cashews to blend…all you need is a whisk and a bowl and 5 minutes!
Step One: whisk up the almond butter, coconut cream, maple syrup, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and salt until smooth in a bowl. If you want it thinner, just add 1 tablespoon of coconut cream at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Step Two: enjoy this vegan chocolate dip with fruit, pretzels, cookies or spread it on toast or cake!
Desiree’s tips, tricks and substitutions
- This dip will keep beautifully for a week in the fridge…if it lasts that long!
- The texture of the almond butter will affect how thick this sauce is…so be sure to stir your almond butter well! Prefer a runnier dip, or want to use this as a chocolate sauce? Simply thin it out with more coconut cream until you reach your desired texture.
- Allergic to nuts? Try sunflower seed butter or tahini! Low FODMAP? ¼ of this recipe is a low FODMAP serve…just make sure your coconut cream doesn’t contain inulin.
- Yep, this chocolate dip is naturally gluten free!
More easy vegan snack recipes
- Vegan Dill Dip with Cashew Cream
- Vegan White Bean and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- Spicy Sriracha Roasted Pepitas
- Low FODMAP Granola Bars
- 3 Ingredient Blueberry Sorbet
5 Minute Vegan Chocolate Dip with Almond Butter
- ¼ cup almond butter, well-stirred! Sub sunflower butter for nut free
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream, or coconut milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond butter, coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and whisk again.
- Serve with your favourite sliced fruit, cookies or pretzels. You can even smother a piece of toast or a cupcake with this dip as it is thick enough!