Healthy 3 Ingredient Blueberry Sorbet (instant!)
Craving a treat? This healthy 3 ingredient blueberry sorbet is ready in less than 5 minutes – no freezing, cooking or ice cream maker required! Sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup, it’s low in added sugars and bursting with rich blueberry flavor.
Despite my significant dedication to the desserts chapter in Good For Your Gut cookbook, this dietitian has to admit that she doesn’t have a huge sweet tooth! The exception? I am ALWAYS in the mood for sorbets and frozen desserts. Like, I could eat some pretty much everyday. Which makes this almost instant 3 ingredient blueberry sorbet the ultimate plant-based recipe for anyone who loves cold treats as much as I do.
It’s ready in 5 minutes, whenever the craving strikes, from 3 ingredients you probably already have on hand. It’s great for when you want something that’s nutrient-dense but still tastes like a treat.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits – I actually have two blueberry bushes in my garden. And blueberries are probably one of the best researched fruits with respect to their health benefits. In the research, blueberries are associated with better heart + brain health, so in case you needed another excuse to eat more blueberries, now you’ve got one!
- ½ cup of blueberries contains 2 grams of fibre, so they don’t contain as much as high fibre raspberries + blackberries, but it’s still pretty good!
- ½ cup of blueberries also contains some vitamin K for bone health + proper blood clotting, as well as some potassium to support the heart.
- If you’re like wait, this doesn’t sound super exciting…where blueberries really excel is their high quantity of a group of phytochemicals known as flavonoids, including anthocyanins.
Flavonoid-rich foods include green tea, cocoa, berries, onions, citrus and dark green leafy vegetables. These phytochemicals are incredibly powerful for helping squelch oxidative damage and fighting chronic inflammation, which I write about in Eat More Plants Cookbook. Flavonoids in blueberries may also support the gut microbiome!
Are frozen berries just as good as fresh?
YES!! Frozen foods are frozen immediately after harvest, helping to retain their nutritional benefits. Berries destined to be frozen can also be picked closer to the peak of ripeness for better flavour, and nutrition.
Blueberries are a hyper-seasonal fruit and I don’t recommend buying berries flown in from halfway around the world out of season. It’s expensive, bad for the planet and honestly, they just aren’t as delicious. So buying frozen blueberries allows you to enjoy this nutritious food all year long…and make this 3 ingredient blueberry sorbet all year long too!
How to make sorbet without an ice cream maker
The secret to making sorbets in an instant – no ice cream maker required – is using frozen fruit and your high speed blender. Since the fruit is already frozen, you just need to blend it and it is ready to eat. It couldn’t be simpler…here are a couple of tips:
- You’ll need a tamper, that fits into the lid of your blender, to help press and move the sorbet around as it blends.
- This sorbet makes a small batch, which is a bit tougher to blend in a large blender…but I have a 64 oz blender jar and it absolutely works! Want even less fuss? Double the batch and then blend that sucker on high and tamp away!
Blueberry sorbet flavour variations
Once you know the basic formula for this 3 ingredient blueberry sorbet, there are so many different variations you can try!
- Add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract for a “creamier” effect
- Try adding the zest of a lemon for a lemon-blueberry duo
- Add 2 tablespoon (30 mL) cocoa powder for a rich, dark chocolate blueberry vibe
- Ginger pairs well with blueberries – try 2 teaspoons (10 mL) grated ginger
- Replace the water with strong, cold chamomile tea or any other liquid you like for a different flavour
- Want to boost flavour even further? Add a tiny pinch of salt. Yes, salt! It won’t make it taste salty.
Blueberry Sorbet Tips + Tricks
- Have people coming over? You can absolutely make this in advance, just pop into an airtight container and store in the freezer. The longer it freezes, the harder it gets. So if you make it the day before, you might have to wait 10 minutes before it is scoopable.
- Or want it scoopable so you can pop it in a cone? Just freeze for 30-60 minutes.
- Have fresh blueberries on hand? Freeze on a parchment lined sheet for at least 4 hours (overnight is great!) before blending.
- This is a low volume recipe, so if you have a large blender jar, it will take a bit of effort with the tamper but it absolutely works. It also doubles easily for a crowd!
Even More Blueberry Recipes!
- Healthy Vegan Blueberry Muffins With Almond Meal
- Unbelievable Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Make your mom (or yourself!) these insane almond blueberry scones
- Healthy in a Hurry: Blueberry Overnight Oats
Healthy 3 Ingredient Blueberry Sorbet
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- High Speed Blender
- Blend, starting at low speed and gradually moving up to medium high for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly blended and dark purple in colour. You’ll need to use the tamper. Don't overblend as the mixture will melt!
- Serve immediately or store in the freezer until ready to use. If frozen for more than a couple of hours, you will need to leave it at room temperature until soft enough to scoop, about 10-15 minutes.