I love that matcha is back in the spotlight. Because this health food nut – and Japan-o-phile – loves it like crazy.
The funny thing about trends is…if you stick around long enough, you see them more than once.
That makes me feel so old (a girl in her thirties isn’t supposed to feel old!). I shall now bolster myself up with that wonderful Regina Spector line, “today we’re younger than we ever gonna be…” and this chia pudding.
You guys know that I have been burning the candle at both ends…running my business alongside taking care of my new daughter. Eating well has literally been my saving grace as I can rarely depend on actual sleep for my energy levels. Of course, sometimes I need a little caffeine crutch to keep me moving too.
So, leave it to the sleep-deprived entrepreneur to devise a way to caffeinate her breakfast directly. This chia pudding is like an anti-inflammatory breakfast + caffeine fix in one 5 minute make ahead.
Just what is so great about matcha? Well, take all that fantastic clinical research on the potential cancer-fighting, skin saving, anti-inflammatory magic of green tea and then boost it…because now you are consuming the whole tea leaf instead of steeping it and throwing it out. And matcha is going to be higher in caffeine than your steeped brew…making it a legitimate substitution for coffee.
Matcha Mango Chia Pudding
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango
- 3 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 tablespoon coconut
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey (and more to taste, optional)
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- In a mason jar or resealable container, use a handheld blender to blend the coconut milk, mango and maple syrup until smooth. Add matcha and give another quick whir.
- Next, stir in chia seed and coconut and whisk vigorously for about a minute. Wait a few minutes and repeat stirring session.
- Go ahead and repeat this cycle once more for chia pudding perfection. (You do this to ensure that the chia doesn't clump together as it hydrates.)
- Place in the fridge and you've got breakfast the next morning.